Author Topic: Auto clutch cable resetting guide  (Read 37110 times)

Offline cobalt6700

• GTI forum regular
Auto clutch cable resetting guide
« on: 19 March 2011, 14:51 »
I was going to write a guide on how to reset auto clutch cables, would this be of interest to people?

1993 GTI 8v 5dr matt black and green - the 'sh!tball rally car'
1997 GTI 8v 3dr metalic black - the daily driver
2002 3DR 1.8T AUM silver - the new daily
1993 Jeep cherokee 4L - the weapon :D

Offline justalex81

• I live here
Re: Auto clutch cable resetting guide
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2011, 14:54 »
yes

do it

Offline cobalt6700

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2011, 15:18 »
Lol

It's done, just need to format it and post it up, should be here later.  :smiley:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2011, 20:51 »
Can they be reset, I have never had any luck in doing so.

Offline cobalt6700

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2011, 10:18 »
Yeah, managed to do 3 now  :cool:

Offline benvictors

• I live here
  • bgk Tuning - coming soon!!!
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2011, 10:30 »
Yes, I'd like to know, having done one and never been able to do it again  :angry:

Offline cobalt6700

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2011, 18:39 »
Just wanted to say, I discovered this by playing with a cable for a few hours. It has worked on 3 of my cables. IF it doesn’t work on your cable,I hold NO responsibility for it. Hope it helps you out.  :smiley:

How to reset your clutch cable:

Tools needed:

A small screwdriver
Your hands
A vice/friend (although I didn’t use either – but it may make it easyier)

So I am calling the blue arrow the spring end and the green arrow the cup end, just to make things easy.

The red arrow on the first pic shows where to separate the adjuster.

You want to take your screwdriver and work the it around the clips to release them. You can twist the sleeve (the bit in-between the spring end and cup end) to cover the clips, but you will need to loosen it off first.

Pull the two half’s apart and you are left with this:

Then pull the spring end down towards the long end of the cable, whilst holding the cup end. Be careful not to pull the cable thorough the rubber at the cup end.  Push the cup end over to one side to lock it onto the white barrel. Use the screwdriver to secure it.

You can now re-attach the spring holding clip; this is the white plastic bit you see. Hold the cup in one hand and push the spring clip down onto its locating points on the spring end. You need to ‘hook’ it over the locating points and slide the white plastic sideways to lock the spring holding clip in place.

Taa daa!  :grin:

Now carefully remove the screwdriver and allow the white barrel to come back inside the spring cup. If you look through the holes in it you will see a copper part and a lead part. You need to slide the lead part up to the copper by sliding the white barrel as far to the spring end as it will go. This is shown by the red arrow.

BE VERY CAREFUL! The ball bearings can fall out and then it is a total pain the arse. Do this slowly and gently with a bit of added grease to the balls so they don’t fall out.

Once you have done this return the white barrel to the ‘locked position on the spring end, with the screwdriver hold it, as you did before. Follow the green arrow.

Make sure you have all your balls in the white barrel. There should be 12.

Now take the cup end and remove the silver sleeve from it. You may need a small pair of pliers if it is greasy.  Slide it up the white barrel, as indicated by the red arrow.

This is now the tricky bit (been easy so far eh?)  :smiley:

While holding at the red arrows in this picture, you need to shimmy the silver sleeve in the green arrow direction. This is best done by:

Hold the spring end in your left hand. Use your last 3 digits to hold the spring end. You will use your thumb and forefinger to shimmy the silver sleeve along.

Take the white barrel in your right thumb and forefinger, and run the cable though your palm, closing your fingers around it. The end of your right hand will then hold against the cup end. Hopefully.  :rolleyes:

It may take a couple of goes at this stage, but don’t be put off! You will get it.  :smiley:

The silver sleeve should go fully in as shown

You can now let go of the cup end, holding the spring end in your hand. Be carefull not to alter the position of the sleeve or the white barrel. It will spring back slightly, but this is ok.  :smiley:

Push the cup end back onto the spring end,  and then pull the clutch end of the cable till the pedal end stops.

You have just reset your clutch cable!

Now put it back on the car, connect both ends (one of the reasons I had to take apart a brand new clutch cable) and release the white plastic spring retainer. Done!  :grin:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2011, 19:17 »
Excellent guide :afro:

Offline princej

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2015, 14:03 »
Just wanted to say Thank You for the guide. Just fixed my clutch cable on Cabrio 2000, works perfectly.

Jacques from Quebec, Canada

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2015, 17:59 »
im pretty sure all you need to do to release the auto adjust is push down on gearbox clutch arm and secure white plastic clip :huh: