Author Topic: SoundillusioN - the re-united mk1!  (Read 87615 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
SoundillusioN - the re-united mk1!
« on: 30 June 2009, 17:24 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: SoundillusioN - the re-united mk1!
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2010, 08:39 »
Ok so as soon as JV gave me a spot here I vanished!.... Me and the missus bought a house together so the car was put aside but she let me keep it!  :smiley:  I have done quite a bit, got it running but decided it needed a full strip out and re-wire.... I'll get posting later... may need some help.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 26 March 2010, 15:43 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2010, 22:01 »
Lets get this show on the road, I paid a big sum of money for this car, those that saw it in the steel may remember it as a unique minter with bad wheels, that’s how I bought it.  The picture below was taken on the A14 on my way down to Inters back in 2004 which was where I was heading to hunt down some better rims to finish her off and to meet fellow forum friends.  As you can see I never made it!  The full story is somewhere on this site still I’m sure but in a nut shell irresponsible "travellers" "gypsies" whatever you want to call them ruined my day, and my car!

Despite my lack of confidence in the car being repairable... It was proven to me that anything is possible.. If you're reading this Dave, THANK YOU!!! You are my Hero!

Unpicked welds and lots of grafting!  Inner wing/turret and front panel removed

OEM Inner Wing, turret and front panel Removed From Donor Car

And after very time consuming work he ended up with this!

Shaun
« Last Edit: 07 August 2015, 14:40 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2010, 19:13 »
Car was modified pretty much straight after original purchase:

Brief summary of spec:
The 80's
Richard Lloyd Racing (Later known as GTI Engineering) 1800 Plus Pac Silverstone - Tuned to Stage 3
Supersprint 4 Branch Manifold
Supersprint 3" Exhaust System
Supersprint Magnum 3" Custom Tuned Silencer
In Car Adjustable Hot Start kit (used when in the pits)
Scirroco Shifter
Dropped 60mm - Boge Gas Shocks and springs
Full Original BBS Body Kit
Hella/Bosch Valance Mounted Fog Lights
Hella Rear Spoiler (only ever seen another once)
Richard Lloyd Racing Steering Wheel

The 90's
Brakes upgraded to Corrado G60 Master Cylinder, Servo, Calipers, MK2 16v Discs

Oh and not forgetting the nasty 3 spokes!!!!
« Last Edit: 07 August 2015, 14:44 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2010, 19:45 »
Locked away for a good 5 years until last year.  Bonnet and wing fitted are old rusty items from a scrapper quickly painted black, also original busted grill, shoddy old bumber from a caddy and original lights fitted just to temporarily complete the car. (Mainly so it didnt look like too much of a sight on our drive whilst trying to sell the house)

I can't believe the body kit survived but it did!.... Those good old days when kits weren't made of fibreglass

« Last Edit: 07 August 2015, 15:07 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2010, 14:20 »
Ok, so my first major issue after getting the car back is that it wouldn’t start.  The engine had been out of the car for 5 years and it was obvious the electrics were in a mess. When I bought the car I knew it had a lot of additional wiring, it wasn’t until now I realised how much!  The car was fitted with a Clifford Concept 50 with 12 Channels.  Remote central locking with dead locks, remote lights, Interior and exterior adjustable proximity sensors, magnetic resonance sensors, glass tamper sensors, anti-hijack, anti tow etc etc! Worst still a previous alarm that was fitted was not removed, just disabled via a master key!...  Every wire that could immobilise the car had been hacked into more than once! I came on here last year for a bit of guidance to try and bypass the lot and thanks go to those that helped, in the end I had to rewire the coil and get the fuel pump running by removing the relay and wiring it to a switch, after that, one flick of the key and she started 1st time! Took me a couple of weeks to get there though!

« Last Edit: 07 August 2015, 15:10 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2010, 14:39 »
No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get the car running with the alarms and it was clear to me now that the whole lot had to be stripped out and I would have to start again!

I waited patiently for complete dash and engine looms to turn up on ebay, and eventually they did.  A nice old boy who seems to make his living stripping dubs in his workshop down in Maida Vale had the whole lot including the lighting loom, got the lot for 70 notes.  Not one wire had ever been cut and even the stereo wiring was original with plugs!

I have never rewired a whole car before but cant afford to get someone else to do it.  My biggest problem is the fact that a lot of my wiring was not connected when i got the car back so knew i would struggle putting a new lot in.  I marked up what i could i began to strip her down!

OMFG!!!!!!  What the feck is all this 5h1t!!!!

« Last Edit: 07 August 2015, 15:22 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2010, 14:51 »
More stripping!!!!

Some of the Clifford!!! more to go!!

All Clifford and Previous Bosch alarm wiring out, also got most of the audio shizzle out to.

This box is most of what I have removed and none of it is VW... In total I found 5 Alarm Sirens!!!!!, 3 Cliffords and 2 Bosch. 3 were in the bulkhead, 1 behind the dash and one in the boot!!!.. over kill or what!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2010, 15:08 »
I cant seem to find anything on the net about rewiring a Mk1 from scratch!!! plenty about making hybrid looms for fitting later engines etc.... best help I've found so far was on the MK1 Owners Club site which has a detailed list of all the functions of every relay, the fuses and wires to the blocks to the fusebox. I'm hoping by the end of this thread, someone may find this build helpful when i get to the tricky stuff!  If i manage it of course!... I read on another site that when rewiring any car you should start from the engine bay and work backwards... So before I begin I am going to have to tidy up the bay while its wire free.

Stripped the front end down a bit for better access

Gave everything a really good clean and degrease

Repainted all the bay, added some tape at bottom of windscreen to stop the leak until i get it fixed

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2010, 15:19 »
Started removing covers as they have seen better days....

Cambelt Cover

Bit of hard graft!

Cam cover, I'm hoping my mate who is a whizz on Photoshop can replicate the sticker, its going to get sanded off, its all flakey now anyway!

Got carried away and started rubbing down and painting other bits too.... its all looking a lot cleaner now  :smiley: