Author Topic: Start Stop does not want to come back  (Read 3449 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Start Stop does not want to come back
« on: 10 January 2019, 14:37 »
So, I've had Start Stop turned off (via the voltage method using OBDEleven) for a good 2 years now. As I am bringing the car to its original default state I went and re-activated it by setting "start stop voltage limit" back to 7.6v from the 12v it had been for 2 years.

Then nothing. In not a single case in one week's driving did it turn the car off after a stop. Temperatures are rather low lately (0-3deg C max) and I haven't been doing long trips (max 10-15min) but I don't recall it needing time to warm up or being particularly sensitive to cold?

What I can't remember right now is if when stopped (with SS activaed) I do get the crossed out A symbol, meaning that it knows it should turn off but can't due to high electrical consumption or just nothing, which would point to the direction of an actual problem?

No errors/signs on the dash neither via an OBD scan. If my battery was on its way out shouldn't I get the crossed out A at least?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Start Stop does not want to come back
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2019, 14:59 »
If its not going to stop because of a defined condition (there are loads but climate control hasn't achieved the set temperature, low fuel light on, battery charge too low) then you should get the crossed out A when you have the vehicle in the state that SS should kick in (clutch out, out of gear, auto hold on... some others too).

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2019, 15:03 »
Here you go, from the manual:

Vehicles with a manual gearbox

Disengage the gear and release the clutch pedal when the vehicle is coming to a stop, or when it is stationary. The engine is stopped.

Depress the clutch pedal to restart the engine.

Vehicles with dual clutch gearbox DSG ®

To stop, press and hold the brake pedal. The engine switches off when the vehicle is coming to a stop, or when it is stationary.

Take your foot off the brake pedal, or depress the accelerator, to restart the engine.

Important preconditions for automatic engine switch-off

The driver is wearing their seat belt.

The driver door is closed.

The bonnet is closed.

A minimum engine temperature has been reached.

m/k/a995MKVehicles with Climatronic: the temperature of the vehicle interior is within the preset temperature range, and the humidity level is not too high.

The defrost function of the air conditioning system is not switched on.

The charge level of the 12-volt vehicle battery is sufficient.

The temperature of the 12-volt vehicle battery is not too low or too high.

The vehicle is not on a steep incline.

m/k/a995MKVehicles with DSG dual clutch gearbox: the steering wheel is not turned too sharply.

The windscreen heating is not switched on.

Reverse gear is not engaged.

Park Assist is not active.

m/k/a995MKGolf R: the selector lever is not in position S or in the Tiptronic gate. The Race driving profile is not activated.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2019, 15:04 »
So it has to meet the SS condition for manual or DSG and then will give a crossed out A if the preconditions aren't met, otherwise you won't get the crossed out A or stop (a non-crossed out A)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2019, 15:06 »
Cheers, but for any non met precondition it should show the crossed out A symbol correct?

Thing is I don't think I saw it on the dash and that's what troubled me. Will need to double check this evening and report back.

EDIT: I was posting at the same time as you did, let me read that bit again.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2019, 15:09 »
Yes if you have followed the manual or DSG instructions and don't have any of the other things happening you should get the A and if you have any of those things happening a crossed out A.

On my Mk7.5 it comes up with an "i" thing on the MIB which if you press it, it tells you why its giving you a crossed out A.

BTW for a diesel it also gives a crossed out A if its doing a DPF regen, but won't tell you that - nobody is allowed to know when a regen is happening in case you stop it!

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2019, 15:23 »
Ok I think we are saying the same thing. With SS activated as usual, the car should do one of the following: either stop, OR show a crossed out A.

Not stopping and not showing anything on the dash is weird, no?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2019, 15:37 »
Yes, very weird.... SS button pressed and lit up?

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2019, 15:41 »
I'll do all my checks this evening and then report with definitive data, hold on!

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2019, 19:06 »
Right, so on the way home, I noticed that the crossed out A did indeed come on when I pressed the brakes really hard, good.

From the car's menu I then clicked on the Start Stop Info and after a few messages which went away (windscreen could fog, cabin not in ideal temp etc.) the only message left on was "high power consumption". Now I didn't have anything unusually power hungry on, I even turned off Clima and the stereo but still, the message did not go off for the remaining 15 minutes of drive. This is definitely not normal.

Plugged the OBDEleven in, checked "battery charge status" and it showed 54%  :huh: That's pretty low right? Could a low battery be related to the car always finding it's not having enough power to engage start-stop?

Bit of extra info:

Around 1.5 years ago I forgot to de-activate OBDEleven during the night which left the CANBUS busy for around 12h and me waiting for road assistance to come and charge the battery as nothing would work (had to unlock car by physical key and the dash was a true error-fest). After that incident I remember that it never showed over 70% charge and even after long drives when it would hit 85%, next day it would be down to 65%. But never as low as 54%.

Guess the inevitable is on its way? Anyway, went and bought a DEFA SmartCharge (the smaller 4A model) and left it charging just to see if this will cure the "high consumption" message even temporarily. I wanted to buy a charger since a long time just for being able to play with VCDS mods in my garage without having to worry about battery dying on me again so there I got the excuse. Thoughts?