Author Topic: US VW Cabriolet 85  (Read 53137 times)

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
Re: US VW Cabriolet 85
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2019, 02:05 »
Been on the hunt for a while for a certain set of wheels, so managed to get these yesterday so happy 15x7 Fittipaldi

Going to do some spacers to push front and rears out to the lip edge.

downside is I don't have the center cap tool :( 

The center cap tool is very rare key after some research, but not a problem... just end up making one.

time to measure

<br />

I then made up a mock up of tool and then had new tool made on the metal lathe and here is result;

now I get working on cleaning up and painting these wheels to go on the cab. I need to get coil overs installed and finish up with ground wires and then its driving so can get the car over to upholstery guy to finish up the revamp of the interior.
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2019, 03:43 »
Finally with some dry weather I reinstalled ground units again and cleaned up the ground cables and plugged all back in. Also added the one fixed relay and new relay.

Relays

and all installed :)

I did a few things to the cluster. I add electrical tape on both sides of the plastic parts where the cluster electrical plugs go, this makes sure the connectors actually have a firm connection. I found that when I moved the cables connected to the cluster the cluster functions would stop and start.

Cluster in and now the lights in cluster are actually working. This I think was two fold. Ground issues and the cables connectors not having firm connections. Happy now.

also all the other dash lights are now working too :) all except one center console dial :( will need to order new light for that one.

On the wheel front, had to make sure I had the right bolt setup to order my adapters - confirmed 5 x 112. Ordered 4x100 to 5x112. Due to wheels are ET35 been thinking I might do conversion to 5x112 would give me more options for future too.

and could not stop myself to see roughly what they looked like. I think once the car is lowered on coil overs and adapters installed the wheels are going to fill that wheel arch nicely.

Happy Friday everyone!
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 25 March 2019, 20:00 »
Been checking brakes and suspension setup in preparing for coilover installation. Need to order new front rotors and pads and full brake flush and fuilds, lower arms going to replace too, overall what I thought the conditions would be.

Starting to clean wheel arch areas to see what it would look like under all the years of road usage and looks to be nice clean paint so good news.

Then I noticed something I've not seen on any of my previous mk1s - the wheels bolts are not bolts but nuts with threads. No big deal will be replacing front and rear setup back to OEM anyhow, so I can add adapters on to fit the new wheels.

I also had the lovely job of getting the ash tray out of the lower dash as the light and lighter unit was not functioning. The actual light unit itself was a pain to get apart. Separating it from ash tray unit without braking it. Must not break small plastic parts oops!

I ordered a new light unit that can be used as power adapter as well from later VW model near perfect in spec and cheap.

Still needed to take apart the light bulb so can replace that too with LED version.

Also took apart light bulb unit for one of the center dials to replace it and the other two with LEDs.

Will be little delay in update due to having to work on all LEDs, getting interior completely out and to someone to redo all interior for me, plus I'm heading back to the UK :) for early April.

I will be happy to get done with all this electrical issues and more onto big items and upgrades...
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 25 March 2019, 20:06 »
Loving this thread madone_si
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2019, 15:17 »

thanks Andy28.

Managed to get few bits done last night and tested in cab this morning.

Finally the day when I get to see all the interior lights working and with upgraded LEDs too!

New lighter unit turned up allowing me to charge my mobile and other stuff - this is from a later VW model - near perfect match. Just have to adjust the connector on the loom

Install into the unit

Testing out the light

Moved onto the start of replacing all dash bulbs to LEDs - I will show few of them below, most are the same way I did them. Got this down to less than 4 minutes a unit to complete.

Each unit at the top of the pins where meets the bulb, there is little piece of metal push down - this hold the pins inside the bulb unit. you push these up, with tiny flat screwdriver from the ends and same time push pin upwards - this will allow you to remove bulb and pins from unit. Do this part slowly

Give you idea of bad bulb, new OEM bulb and LED bulb

some other units doing at the same time

I usually do all my soldering using my multiple clamps but for the life of me I cannot find them :(so had to revert back to old ways of taping bulb down and using pliers to hold pins while using soldering unit. Worked out very well actually.

Then moved on to preparing LED light and then soldered first pin on (I will always get soldered on and then afterwards clean up weld to make flat)

Both pins soldered welded on

Key to now test bulb (I always test each new bulb before trying to install as well)

Now time to install into unit. Key you do this part gently to start, you need to make sure each pin goes down into the bulb unit slows of each side and then using small screw driver you can push down on top of pins to get it down 30% into unit as you can see below.

To get bulb and pins to sit completely in unit as below, I use two ways. 1. Keep pushing top of pins down with screw driver until the bulb gets in the way, this then allows the pins to show on each side of unit and I then use a pointed screws driver to put into the pin hole and pull pins down - works really well.

Time to test again to make sure LED is ok and working

Now I just repeat this process again to all the interior lights...

This is the unit I used with some electrical wires to test out the bulbs

I tested out one or two of the LEDs in the car.

Compare OEM to LED

LED is on the left the other two are OEM - but both will be replaced to LED.

Then replaced the light switch bulb to LED and can also see much better now the dashboard with LEDs

What dash looks like at night...

Well I for one am happy now I have all the wiring working and lights as I want it, just got to finish up few more units to LEDs and then we can put the dashboard all back together, or can I? (will explain in next update)

Hope you all are getting your VW fix on of fixing or installing new parts.
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 23 April 2019, 05:25 »
At last my collectors plate come in :) can actually use the car on the road.... yeah! and no more yearly tab costs ;)

plate and new plate holder

and all installed!

lots of parts arriving - so hope to get big update out in coming weeks.

Hope you all get your vw fix today of fixing and install new parts!
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #16 on: 23 April 2019, 07:14 »
Brilliant build thread. Keep up the good work, and the updates!  :cool:

Build thread clicky

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2019, 19:06 »
Brilliant build thread. Keep up the good work, and the updates!  :cool:

thanks

Been working on my other mk1 white cab the last month getting it ready to sell... this one is automatic. Just finished up full service and clean waiting on side trim to turn up and this cab is complete and will be sold.

I took off the wheel arches and was amazed to find not a single bit of rust underneath = result :)

Updates on the other cab will be coming soon - waiting on few new parts to arrive and then alot of work will be happening.

SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 02 July 2019, 16:58 »
Well I have been collecting loads of parts for the car, in short over next month I will be taking out suspension and all four corners setup and replacing everything. This will then leave me with focus on improvements to the engine, then interior and last paint job. Actually thinking more about it I really need to do that in the other direction..

I want to get the car completely repainted, sort out interior and then all running gear.

The most exciting part turned up - big thank you to KW suspension. Will be working with them more for my other build soon too. Quality of this suspension is very high.

Also new manifold down-pipe turned up, I have some work to do to this so it has a flexi part. More to come on that later. (This so reminds me of the BLACK SOY work I did)

Did two pieces of work recently

1. Upgraded stereo and put in a aerial booster

2. Fixed the drivers door top trim

Lucky I save stuff over the years so pulled out of my own stock

I then used 3M heavy duty weatherstrip - boy this stuff works great and gives you about 5 minutes before starts to go off.

You apply 3M to the back of the trim, make sure you have good amount at bottom ends (not too much that it goes everywhere) and using clamps hold it in place and let try for few hours.

Working on clearing out my garage at weekend, need to do some work on my MGA and then I can get some more photos of all the parts I have (currently in loads of boxes)
« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 01:09 by Madone_si »
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2019, 12:26 »
Well I know this is way overdue, but sometimes family stuff just gets in the way of projects  :lol:

So in short, I have the interior fully out and working myself on new covers for the front and rear seats. I have everything now to completely take apart front and rear wheel areas and add new parts.

I also have most parts for engine refresh and service, but need to this winter really get the car stripped down more to fix some areas and get it repainted while I have interior out and all the old parts still on it.

Will get some photos up in coming weeks.

I am also going to see my old BLACK SOY Cabriolet 92 next month as new owner is doing some work on it.

thanks
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92