Author Topic: Woop! New camera.  (Read 2844 times)

Offline DubFan

• I live here
Woop! New camera.
« on: 26 July 2013, 23:56 »
So, after deliberating about it for a while, I sold all my Sony DSLR gear and have gone to the BIG C.
Ordered a brand new Canon 60D last Friday (from HDEW) and it arrived on Wednesday.

I have a nifty 50 on order, but in the meantime I've used the cheap kit 18-55 a little (only the ladybird shot below was using it), but mainly my old M42 mount 35mm f2.8 lens.

Here's my first few shots.

Evening sky - test shot by AlistairBeavis, on Flickr

Ladybird by AlistairBeavis, on Flickr

Two by AlistairBeavis, on Flickr

Tube by AlistairBeavis, on Flickr

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Woop! New camera.
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2013, 07:25 »
Looking good, welcome to the dark side of Canon. Bring on the L glass.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2013, 08:20 »
Nice purchase. Welcome across to the best side!

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2013, 08:49 »
It's not really that there's anything majorly wrong with Sony, but it was time for an upgrade and I decided that since I am getting more serious, it was time for a more serious bit of kit.
I would like to say I'm a brand-agnostic, it doesn't matter which brand of camera you use, it's just a tool after all. I did look at the Nikons, but the Canons just seemed more intuitive to me and the deciding factor was that all the people I might shoot with (including some pros) all use Canon.

If anyone is looking for new gear, I can recommend HDEW Cameras. They have a shop in Sutton (South London) and they do sell imports (hence the low price) but all the gear comes with the standard 1yr Canon warranty and an extra 2yrs warranty on top of that for free.

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2013, 10:08 »
I've been eyeing up the 60D for a while. What's stopped me is the 70D coming out. I'm torn between buying the 60D (was looking at hdew too), and holding out for the 70D.

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2013, 12:05 »
Well I guess its a question of money and time then.
Get a 60D now for less than £500 or buy a 70D for about a grand. Some places aren't stocking it yet so you might have to wait.
The 70D looks good spec wise, the new dual pixel focus system in particular, but image wise is it that much better than the 60D?
To be honest, if I'd had a grand for.a Canon body, it would be a secondhand 5D Mk2 for full frame goodness rather than an expensive crop sensor body. IMO the 7D isn't worth buying now either unless you need the extra ruggedness and slightly higher capture speed, but otherwise the 60D is as good.

If you want it now, get the 60D, if you can spare the extra money (which could buy a nice lens) and can wait a little, get the 70D.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2013, 12:14 »
@stealthwolf why not a 7d?

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2013, 12:22 »
TBH I did think about the 7D. Whilst it had awesome build quality (making the 60D look cheap and tacky in process), it lacked the variangle LCD panel. It's something I use a lot on my G12.

The 70D appears to be the best of both worlds - it's like a 7D (19-pt AF, FPS) but with the variangle LCD. I use the G12 for video too so the AF system looks good.

I suspect around Xmas, the 70D will drop below £1k mark with a kit lens.

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2013, 12:56 »
The tilt screen on the 60D was a factor for me too. I had a tilting screen on my Sony and used it a lot, so I would have missed that.
The live view mode on the 60D is better than the 7D I think, and live view is better still on the 70D.

If you can afford a 7D or a 70D, then go for it. The 7D does have a higher build quality (though the 60D doesn't feel cheap at all) and better fps, but it's now an old model and I think due for replacement.
As I said, if you're spending that much I would probably want the latest model rather than an old model, particularly a crop sensor.
A grand; if you want new, get the 70D, if you want full frame goodness, get a 5D2.

I guess once all the stocks of 60D have gone, then the price of the 70D will come down a little.

Buying the 60D was the best option for me anyway and if you had a grand budget, then that would give you £500 for some really nice glass (Canon 17-55 f2.8 or 24-105 f4 L).

One slight annoyance with swapping to the 60D is that it uses SD cards rather than compact flash, so I had to ditch my CF cards. Mind you, HDEW bundled a Sandisk Extreme 8GB SD card with the camera for free, so that was fine.

I'll have to get hold of my brother's 7D and do some side by side comparisons.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2013, 12:58 by DubFan »

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 27 July 2013, 13:05 »
I'm planning to move from my (albeit advanced) point and shoot to dSLR. It's just a hobby to get into. A FF camera is just too OTT for my needs. I'm planning to wait for some proper reviews with analyses of RAW files first. If it looks like it's worth it, I'll buy the 70D this year and upgrade the lens next year. If not, it will be 60D + 15-85mm lens.