Author Topic: Recommendations for a good DA polisher and pads ??  (Read 35456 times)

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
So I have completed my first attempt with my new Das-6 Pro+ kit and come out the other side relatively unscathed  :shocked:
Seeing as I haven't detailed my Golf though I thought I would keep my efforts fairly low key hidden in the thread I posted a few weeks ago when I needed a bit of advice.
Thanks to Rebecca's advice and words of wisdom I set to yesterday on my wife's Fiat 500.
The car will be 4 years old next month and we have had it since last August.
Began with a snow foam using Valet Pro PH Neutral
3 bucket wash with Autoglym bodywork shampoo and conditioner and a Microfibre wash pad
Then clayed the bodywork with Bilt Hamber Autoclay with a warm bowl of water to keep the it soft enough to use (Thanks again Rebecca  :whistle:)
Washed again  :rolleyes:
Then towel dryed with a WoWo drying towel
Masked up the trim and used the Orange Hex Logic pad with Chemical Guys V36 starting on the roof. I figured that seeing as it was my first go with a DA it would be better on a flat surface with the added bonus that no one would be able to see it if it all went wrong  :laugh:
I must admit that it felt a bit unwieldy for a start but you soon get the hang of it and apart from being quite heavy it is a breeze to use 👍
So many hours later I have completed my first attempt at correcting and also changed to a Black Hex Logic pad and gave it a coat of CG V38 finishing polish so I am no longer a DA virgin and I am so glad I didn't start by doing my car. I don't feel confident enough to let loose on the unforgiving Lapiz Blue paint just yet.  I think I still need to fine tune my technique but I am pleased with the results although I say it myself  :cool:
There are a few swirls still left but I was knackered after all that and just couldn't be Ar**d to do it all again with the V34. That's a job for another day.
So here are a few obligatory photos to appease you picture junkies !!!

Then it rained on it last night so here is a little beading shot from this morning complete with dust in some of the droplets to finish off with

« Last Edit: 26 March 2016, 18:12 by JB GTI »
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Recommendations for a good DA polisher and pads ??
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2016, 18:29 »
I won't say it James.    Yes I will..........

......Told you so!!!  :grin:  Way hey, you've popped your DA cherry.  :laugh:

Looks a fantastic job on the funny shaped Golf.......little Fiat.  :cool:  Now you've got that first go out of the way, there'll be no stopping you.  Even though it might need another going over with the V34, always best to start with the least abrasive polish, especially if you've never done it before.  You'll have a much better idea of what polish to go in with now when you do your Golf.

Btw, impressive taping up.  Very neat job.

Btw, if they aren't already, prepare for very achy arms tommorow.

Btw, glad you sorted the cold clay problem out.

Btw, well done James, really fantastic work. :afro:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2016, 21:24 »
Thanks  :smiley:
It's not my arms that are aching. It's my back and my poor knees  :sick:
Fortunately the doctor ordered several pints and and evening of talking crap down the pub and it worked wonders  :laugh:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2016, 22:55 »
Looks great and for me it's just about taking your time and getting to know the products.