Author Topic: VP bilberry wheel cleaner  (Read 14238 times)

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
VP bilberry wheel cleaner
« on: 12 July 2016, 12:57 »
Hi all

As title I know alot of you use this but I have the 19" santis is this ok to use on them being polished and diamond cut..

Thanks in advance  :whistle: :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
Re: VP bilberry wheel cleaner
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2016, 13:33 »
I use Bilt-Hamber on the same wheels but I would be interested in your replies as it would work out cheaper.

PS Bilt-Hamber is really good.
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2016, 13:53 »
If you protect the wheels with gtechniq C5 then there is no need to use anything other than Water to clean the wheels. 
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2016, 16:36 »
It's absolutely fine to use Bilberry Wheel Cleaner on Santiagos or any polished diamond cut wheels. Used it for years on my Mk6 GTI diamond cuts, and any other wheels for that matter.  It's a brilliant wheel cleaner and can be diluted as you wish.  It's PH neutral, not acidic like some wheel cleaners. For regular maintenance washes I use it at a dilution of 1:10 which is effective in removing crap but not stripping protection.  Use it at 1:3 for a more concentrated solution but that will strip wax and some other sealants off, except ceramic coatings. 

A squirt on each wheel before your normal wash or at the snow foam stage (if applicable) will bring the dirt of with great ease.  Also brillant on tailpipes.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2016, 16:38 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2016, 16:37 »
If you protect the wheels with gtechniq C5 then there is no need to use anything other than Water to clean the wheels. 
  I second this post.  I have the 18" Austin alloys and when I first had them they would scratch so easy without even trying, I was even using lambs wool mits etc,. However once I coated them a couple months later with GTechniq C5 Wheel Armour I have not seen any obvious new scratches on my wheels. The stuff is expensive and I was unsure about it, but took the plunge and tried some on my wheels.  I have to say I will swear by C5 Wheel Armour now and plan to get the Pretoria wheels off my new Golf R the first day and coat them before anything has a chance of scratching them. 

My wheels are so easy to clean once I coated them with C5 Wheel Armour.  Just use soapy water now no special cleaning products.  However you may need to still address the ever so troublesome brake dust with IronX or a similar product on regular intervals as C5 does not stop brake dust, it may just help to prevent it completely ruining the wheels.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2016, 18:11 »
Thanks for the replies been using he foam n soap and water with a mitt but behind the spokes are a pain for big hands.. :whistle:
 il look at getting some wheel armour on them when we get a dry weekend lol
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2017, 16:59 »
Finally got round to getting some VP bilberry due to glowing reviews but now OH has put fear of god into me, he's read the label and says I should be wearing a hazmat suit to use it ... surely not ...if I'm using it in a spray bottle at 1:10 should I be using gloves, goggles?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2017, 18:03 »
Finally got round to getting some VP bilberry due to glowing reviews but now OH has put fear of god into me, he's read the label and says I should be wearing a hazmat suit to use it ... surely not ...if I'm using it in a spray bottle at 1:10 should I be using gloves, goggles?

Safety first and all that! Although I've never bothered and I haven't expired yet....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2017, 18:22 »

Ignore your OH.  Used Bilberry for years at a variety of dilutions - neat; 1:3 and 1:8 and 1:10 ratios, no PPE kit (and I have access to it) and no harm to body or mind.  To appease your OH, at most don a pair of nitrile gloves and that will look like you are taking account of H&S aspect. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2017, 19:09 »
Thanks Booth11 you've put my mind at rest....looking forward to trying it tomorrow followed by PB sealant, like the idea of the gtechniq but got a nearly full bottle of the PB, will be seeing pink for a few weeks!