Author Topic: Spring Detail - Mk7 GTD Diamond Black Pearl  (Read 9641 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Spring Detail - Mk7 GTD Diamond Black Pearl
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2016, 11:42 »
Thanks rebecca. Tardis scares me a little as it comes in a tin with a big warning sign on it, so looks like a proper chemical that could do some damage, where as all of the other things we tend to use look nice in their plastic bottles with trigger sprays lol :laugh:

Doesn't scare me as much as claying does though! Also the thought of using a da scares me less than claying which might be a bit strange I know! :shocked:

:grin: 

Have no fear of the Tardis Dave.  I know exactly what you mean about the scary looking industrial chemical thing, but once you've overcome the terror of opening the big serious looking 5 litre can and picked yourself up from the floor after being knocked over by the very strong glue solvent smell, just decant some into a detailing spray bottle, and suddenly it seems much less scary.  I actually love the smell of it, and no I wasn't a glue sniffer in my youth.  Mind you it is potent stuff and it's the only one of my detailing products I keep in the shed (rest have pride of place in the house, lol).  Or buy something like Auto Finesse ObliTARate which is packaged in a much less scary bottle with a pretty label, haha.  If you do get some Tardis and a spray bottle, make sure you buy a chemical resistant spray head as opposed to a standard one.  Used properly Tardis is perfectly safe on your paintwork, so really nothing to worry about, it won't dissolve your lovely TR paint.

Same goes for claying, scary until you try it, but the clay mitt is the answer to that one - much more user friendly than a clay bar.  But you do need a careful technique, and the key to minimising clay marring is.....lubrication, lubrication, lubrication!

As for the DA machine, you will continue to be afraid until the first ever time you use one, and then the fear will very quickly vanish.  Anyway you'll need the DA to get rid of the marks you inflict with the clay, lol....joking of course.  :laugh:

Time for you to conquer your multiple detailing fears me thinks.  :wink:
Had a look at my car in yesterday's very strong Manchester sunlight and it looks pretty appalling.
The light was reflecting of the water around the car and showing up lots of fine scratches etc.
I think I will be investing in a DA machine when funds allow to hopefully polish out the imperfections.
What pads, polish etc would you recommend Rebecca?
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2016, 15:02 »
Thanks rebecca. Tardis scares me a little as it comes in a tin with a big warning sign on it, so looks like a proper chemical that could do some damage, where as all of the other things we tend to use look nice in their plastic bottles with trigger sprays lol :laugh:

Doesn't scare me as much as claying does though! Also the thought of using a da scares me less than claying which might be a bit strange I know! :shocked:

Have no fear of the Tardis Dave.  I know exactly what you mean about the scary looking industrial chemical thing, but once you've overcome the terror of opening the big serious looking 5 litre can and picked yourself up from the floor after being knocked over by the very strong glue solvent smell, just decant some into a detailing spray bottle, and suddenly it seems much less scary.  I actually love the smell of it, and no I wasn't a glue sniffer in my youth.  Mind you it is potent stuff and it's the only one of my detailing products I keep in the shed (rest have pride of place in the house, lol).  Or buy something like Auto Finesse ObliTARate which is packaged in a much less scary bottle with a pretty label, haha.  If you do get some Tardis and a spray bottle, make sure you buy a chemical resistant spray head as opposed to a standard one.  Used properly Tardis is perfectly safe on your paintwork, so really nothing to worry about, it won't dissolve your lovely TR paint.

Same goes for claying, scary until you try it, but the clay mitt is the answer to that one - much more user friendly than a clay bar.  But you do need a careful technique, and the key to minimising clay marring is.....lubrication, lubrication, lubrication!

As for the DA machine, you will continue to be afraid until the first ever time you use one, and then the fear will very quickly vanish.  Anyway you'll need the DA to get rid of the marks you inflict with the clay, lol....joking of course.  :laugh:

Had a look at my car in yesterday's very strong Manchester sunlight and it looks pretty appalling.
The light was reflecting of the water around the car and showing up lots of fine scratches etc.
I think I will be investing in a DA machine when funds allow to hopefully polish out the imperfections.

Manchester is noted for it's very strong sunlight.  :wink:  Best not to look at your car in the full sun or move to a less sunny location.  :grin: I love sunshine but so unforgiving, lol.

Have a look in these thread kalimon as I'm too lazy to write it out again. 

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276899.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276985.0
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2016, 18:44 »

Manchester is noted for it's very strong sunlight.  :wink:  Best not to look at your car in the full sun or move to a less sunny location.  :grin: I love sunshine but so unforgiving, lol.

Thanks Rebecca, although your recent laziness has not gone unnoticed :laugh:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2016, 19:16 »

In my defence lots of other priorities at the moment, work, family and house projects.  In middle of having a load of building work done on house in prep for a new kitchen going in, reconfiguring a few doors and windows etc.  Builders doing pneumatic drill work this week to break up concrete floor, lots of dust so driveway not the best place for detailing atm!   :sad:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #14 on: 25 April 2016, 07:25 »

In my defence lots of other priorities at the moment, work, family and house projects.  In middle of having a load of building work done on house in prep for a new kitchen going in, reconfiguring a few doors and windows etc.  Builders doing pneumatic drill work this week to break up concrete floor, lots of dust so driveway not the best place for detailing atm!   :sad:
Having had a new kitchen fitted in 2014 that involved knocking 3 rooms together, I have sympathy for you Rebecca. You never truly believe that you will ever be dust free again.
It's well worth it in the end though 🙂
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP