Author Topic: Snow foam  (Read 11043 times)

Offline Gazza

• Not said much yet
Re: Snow foam
« Reply #40 on: 28 March 2015, 13:07 »
Whilst I use snow foam a lot, I've always been underwhelmed about how effective it really is. I know this is an ongoing debate in the detailing world.

I've recently started just giving the car a good pre wash with a mesto foamer and valet pro ANSF. A lot cheaper than getting a pressure washer and lance, as well as being just as effective as snow foam in my opinion. Yes it might not be as fun or look as good but it's an option if cost is a factor.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Snow foam
« Reply #41 on: 28 March 2015, 14:38 »
Agree, there's always debate about snow foam, much like the manual v DSG debate  :wink:

I don't think anyone really thinks that snow foam is some magic potion that will transform the car on it's own, it just one possible step in the process.  I have used Auto Finesse Citrus pre wash a few times but never felt it gave as a good a result as snow foaming.  It does very much depend on the foam imo, there are some poor ones out there that do little more than coat the car, but a good foam like Valet Pro Advanced Neutral or Bilt Hamber Auto Foam can make a difference and give good results.  Those that use snow foam just because it's fun and looks cool are kind of missing the point.

If you're going to do it properly, snow foam can be an expensive option initially especially if you need to buy a pressure washer as well as a lance, but once you've got the equipment then it's just the cost of the foam thereafter.

As with most things it's down to personal preference.  At least there is a choice with lots of pre-wash solutions on the market too. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11