Author Topic: Wax comparison - Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro v Auto Finesse Desire  (Read 11299 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Wax comparison - Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro v Auto Finesse Desire
« Reply #20 on: 15 September 2014, 10:10 »
Haha, I forgot about the 4 wheel drive  :embarrassed:  :grin:

Mind you I suppose you could still put winter tyres on.   I've never bothered on mine even though it's front wheel drive, never had a problem running my contisport 5s all year round. 

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Wax comparison - Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro v Auto Finesse Desire
« Reply #21 on: 27 September 2014, 13:13 »
FINAL UPDATE
Both waxes have now been on for 6 weeks, and the car washed weekly during this time. 

Washed the car this morning and observed the water behaviour on the bonnet.  I also noted the beading behaviour during rainy weather earlier this week.

Auto Finesse Desire no longer beading at all and sheeted water just sits on the paintwork.  No protection apparent.

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro still giving good beading, albeit larger beads than before.  Sheeted water still runs off reasonably well, a little slower to withdraw but still a reasonable level of protection apparent.

CONCLUSION
Very disappointing performance from AF Desire.  My expectations were that this premium carnauba wax priced at £80-100 would give a quality finish and offer a good level protection for at least 3 months.  I did not expect all trace of protection to be gone within 6 weeks.  It's a shame, as it does give a nice deep gloss finish but that's all!  :sad:

I have now re-waxed the bonnet and front with DJ Blue Velvet Pro  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 27 September 2014, 13:14 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Nino

• I live here
Totally agree really not impressed by AF products at all.
I have juat got due to you lol a pot of DJ and treated the entire car. Looks great. Going to build another layer in 4 weeks and theb put a layer of 915 mid December for added protection :)
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
I have juat got due to you lol a pot of DJ and treated the entire car. Looks great. Going to build another layer in 4 weeks and theb put a layer of 915 mid December for added protection :)

The blue velvet pro? or purple haze pro?  That, plus the 915 will give great winter protection.

Like you, I gave mine another coat of DJ last week.  Had to do the bonnet and front anyway as the AF was gone, so did the whole car again.  The condensation beading in the mornings is amazing, really tight tiny beads :)
« Last Edit: 03 October 2014, 07:55 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Nino

• I live here

The blue velvet pro? or purple haze pro?  That, plus the 915 will give great winter protection.

Like you, I gave mine another coat of DJ last week.  Had to do the bonnet and front anyway as the AF was gone, so did the whole car again.  The condensation beading in the mornings is amazing, really tight tiny beads :)

Well for some reason my plan was to buy Blue velvet but i ended up buying purple haze pro  :rolleyes:
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door

Offline runningman35

• Not said much yet
Read this comparison with interest as I have been a fan of Auto Finese products on my MK5 GTI in the past, but as clearly evident from the test results the Auto Finesse Desire - although smells very nice ( almost tempting to taste!) is just not durable enough for the money! Annoyed at shelling out around £120 2 years ago for it but suppose I have had the best of it.

Found some Collinite No.476s Super Durable Coat Auto Wax on the garage shelf and wondered if this would be a good investment of effort on my new TR GTD or to order EXO v2 and C1Crystal Lacquer set from G Technique for winter conditions coming up?

Reading the the Collinite label raised a smile "First Aid: If inhaled, remove victim to fresh air. If breathing stopped, begin artificial respiration. Call physician......"  :shocked:
Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG 3 Dr, DB Pearl, Brescia 19”, Dynaudio Excite, Art Velour SS, DCC

Previous: Mk7 GTD 5 dr, TR, Basic NAV, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack, Sport & Sound Pack, Heated W/screen, Advanced Tel Pack

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Read this comparison with interest as I have been a fan of Auto Finese products on my MK5 GTI in the past, but as clearly evident from the test results the Auto Finesse Desire - although smells very nice ( almost tempting to taste!) is just not durable enough for the money! Annoyed at shelling out around £120 2 years ago for it but suppose I have had the best of it.

Found some Collinite No.476s Super Durable Coat Auto Wax on the garage shelf and wondered if this would be a good investment of effort on my new TR GTD or to order EXO v2 and C1Crystal Lacquer set from G Technique for winter conditions coming up?

Reading the the Collinite label raised a smile "First Aid: If inhaled, remove victim to fresh air. If breathing stopped, begin artificial respiration. Call physician......"  :shocked:

As tempting as it smelt, I resisted the temptation to eat the desire.  For god's sake don't be tempted to sample the 476 if the health warning is anything to go by  :shocked:  :grin:

476 is purported to be the most durable wax on the market, apparently lasting up to 12 months and especially good for winter protection.  I haven't used it myself, but have used 915 and don't think you can go far wrong with collinite wax.  As I wax my car (too) often, very long term durability isn't a primary concern, though I was shocked at the miserly short life of the AF desire.

The gtechniq kit looks interesting - scratch resistance + extra gloss.  Wonder about depth?   I find that sealants can give a sterile shine.  I love wet look shine but on DBP it's got to have depth, which is where wax excels.  Maybe depth not so important on TR, whereas gloss is.

Decisions, decisions eh, what you gonna go for?  Whatever you decide, be good to get a review and some pics.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Nino

• I live here
I have used both 476 and 915.

I can tell you that 476 is the most durable out of the two and also the hardest of the two to apply.
However, 915 has 15% more carnuba so gives a deeper shine but wont last as long as 476 and is easyier to apply.

Realistic lasting times...
476 - 7-9 months.
915 - 6-8 months.
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Not forgetting Collinite 845; the liquid version. Really 'easy on, easy off' application with good durability, and at £15 / £16 a bottle, very good value. Last waxed my car 7 months ago and it's still beading well.

I'll be giving my car it's pre-winter treatment today, which will include a couple of layers of 845.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline runningman35

• Not said much yet
Probably have a go with the collinite 476s if warm enough tomorrow. I Auto Finesse Avalanched the new car today after my first 150 miles in it and shampooed with Auto Glym Bodywork conditioner, and discovered that car was waxed over the remains of shipping tape glue, by the supplying dealer! - Not impressed, and ended up using Docktor Power Magic Eraser to get the remnants off both sides of roofline. :angry:

If a bit too cold I will stick AF Desire on and make do! :wink:
Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG 3 Dr, DB Pearl, Brescia 19”, Dynaudio Excite, Art Velour SS, DCC

Previous: Mk7 GTD 5 dr, TR, Basic NAV, Dynaudio, ACC, Winter Pack, Sport & Sound Pack, Heated W/screen, Advanced Tel Pack