Author Topic: OCD Parking  (Read 6324 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: OCD Parking
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2019, 16:38 »
Here's one for you. There is only one space left in a car park. The cars either side of it are parked on the skunt. Do you...

A-Park parallel to them, leaving the largest possible gap, but risk them leaving first, making you look like you can't park between the lines,

B-Park properly in the space, but leave your car quite close to the badly parked cars, risking damage when they come back and need to squeeze into them, then manoeuver out perilously close to your bumpers,

C-Sit in the car and wait for a better space to become available, even if it takes an hour, or

D-Go home.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2019, 16:50 »
Here's one for you. There is only one space left in a car park. The cars either side of it are parked on the skunt. Do you...

A-Park parallel to them, leaving the largest possible gap, but risk them leaving first, making you look like you can't park between the lines,

B-Park properly in the space, but leave your car quite close to the badly parked cars, risking damage when they come back and need to squeeze into them, then manoeuver out perilously close to your bumpers,

C-Sit in the car and wait for a better space to become available, even if it takes an hour, or

D-Go home.

C or D  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2019, 17:20 »
C or D for me too  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2019, 17:22 »
I didn't take a picture, but there were no decent spaces in a busy hospital car park the other day, so I made my own. Popped the Amarok up over a 8" kerb and up a sloping grass bank. Just like parking in a far flung corner of a car park, you'll come back and someone has squeezed as close as they can next to you, when they had the choice of dozens of other spaces, there was a Ford Ranger next to me. At least he'd left plenty of room.

It's a comfort thing in car parks. You park in the empty part of a carpark and guaranteed you'll have someone next to you or both sides!  :grin:

It's one of my pet peeves. I've reasoned that it's people who are incredibly lazy and can't drive. They use your car to position theirs in the bay. I find it declines sharply if you park in the furtherest corner of an empty car park proving the 'incredibly lazy' part of my theory perfectly.
Unfortunately your theory is wrong. I've parked in the farthest spot available in local supermarkets and also b and q and always come back to some clown hat parked next to me in some s4itbox fiesta or ford fungus. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2019, 18:16 »
There was a similar thread in an Audi forum I used to follow, which was quite amusing. Post your photos to show the lengths you’ll go to, to protect your pride and joy when forced to park in a public place. Here’s my favourite parking spot in a local multi-storey. Ramp on one side, cast iron girders on the other. No door dings going on here.  :grin:

Well done Mutley. This always made me laugh on the Audi forum. Do drone shots get bonus points?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2019, 19:01 »
I'm convinced that some people believe that their car will get lonely if it's parked on its own in a distant corner of a car park.

Twice each week I work in Winchester, in a multi-storey car park.  There are two spaces on each floor where the floor turns through a slight angle, and the spaces are wider at the back than the front, and have the added advantage that there are vertical galvanised steel girders on either side at the front, so the outsized SUV's which infest our streets can't park in them, and the timid parkers (usually those who can't park a small hatchback straight in a space) are too frightened to risk them. 

Unfortunately, two elderly parents in poor health mean that I've spent far too much time visiting Southampton General Hospital, and its overpriced and under-sized car park.  I hate the place with a passion, and much of that is due to the abysmal car park, with undersized spaces inhabited by oversized cars, SUV's and OAP's depositing their small hatchbacks haphazardly and inconsiderately in the inadequate spaces. 

My car is parked, wherever possible, either on the end of a row, in the far corner of the car park, between two pillars, or all of those things.  I've had to pay £450 to have a dent in the offside front wing of my Golf repaired during the last year.  I hate using public car parks.  I hate the fact that the spaces haven't been enlarged, but cars have, and I hate the chavvy, inconsiderate attitudes of some of the cretins who use them.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 15 May 2019, 20:31 »
Brilliant space for sure. They are not girders though but let’s bit get too fussy lol.

They are not cast iron either, they are rolled steel.  :wink:

Strewth!! Either way, it’s a protective metal barrier between my car and the native morons.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2019, 20:48 »

D-Go home.

D) then E) Jump in wife's car and go back   :grin:
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2019, 21:06 »

D-Go home.

D) then E) Jump in wife's car and go back   :grin:

D.

But more often than not, I have an idea what the parking arrangements at my destination are like in advance and decide whether to take the GTI or the 1.2 Polo, accordingly.  :grin:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2019, 07:54 »

Unfortunately, two elderly parents in poor health mean that I've spent far too much time visiting Southampton General Hospital

Serious question. Have you thought about applying for a blue badge for one or both of them?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.