Author Topic: Windscreen and Bonnet damage  (Read 977 times)

Offline GTI2014

• Not said much yet
Windscreen and Bonnet damage
« on: 05 June 2014, 00:08 »
Hi All,

I just bought a MK6 GTI after previously owning a MK5 prior to the children arriving when I had to get a slower family car  :wink:

I have only had it a two weeks and it was gleaming when it left the dealers - however today after a long drive on the motorway in the pouring down rain, I decided to pop in to the local car wash to give it a once over before reaching home (you know the type, quick wash down with the pressure washer followed by the shampoo and quick dry by 3 or 4 guys).  When I got home I was shocked to find lots of tiny chips/pits in the windscreen and more on the bonnet!

I am very upset especially with myself for going to this kind of car wash but it has been fine for my other cars in the past.

I am thinking that maybe the car was "prepped" at the dealers and if the paint work marks were there before, the jet wash may have removed the coloured wax or whatever may have been used, but I would definitely have noticed the windscreen marks previously.  However given the windscreen damage, it would follow that the bonnet marks were also caused at the same time.

Regarding the windscreen, do you think it would be possible to get these pits repaired (most are tiny about 1mm)?  Has anyone used companies such as GlasWeld or Glass Polish?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
Re: Windscreen and Bonnet damage
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2014, 13:07 »
It sounds like they used a filler of some sort when they prepped the car, I reckon the best way of sorting the windscreen would be to chip it in your eyeline and get a new one through your insurance.