Author Topic: Windscreen scratch  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
Windscreen scratch
« on: 03 May 2011, 11:30 »
I have done a search and found a few topics but none have shown any results or anything? was just wondering if someone has found a product or a good way of removing a wiper scratch on a mk3 front windscreen its not silly deep rubbing my finger nail across it you can feel it a little?
Also its at the bottom in the middle, is this a mot fail or not?
Any help would be great  :smiley:

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
Re: Windscreen scratch
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2011, 12:55 »
theres a product from meguires. it takes out scratches from headlamps. in the demo vid the guy is using a rotary mop. google it
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2011, 14:52 »
theres a product from meguires. it takes out scratches from headlamps. in the demo vid the guy is using a rotary mop. google it

that's plastix I think... works on plastics.. and not very well either imo!

however... polishing glass is a minefield... you need special glass polishing pads.. and the right cutting compounds.. even then you stand a 1 in 10 chance of the glass shattering due to excessive heat build up from the polishing machine

even IF you did manage to polish out the scratch you would still be left with some kind of distortion due to the level of the glass in the polished area being lower than the unpolished glass

as for an MOT fail... if it is within the drivers line of vision then it might well be... but it depends on the placement. do you have fully comp insurance? it might be worth speaking to autoglass?

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2011, 15:45 »
For the amount of time, effort and money involved id just opt for a new windscreen if you've got fully comp insurance. My last one cost me £60 excess and was  money well spent imo.

Offline GrandMstRamRod

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2011, 15:48 »
i had my windscreen replaced today under insurance, cost me 50 pound, and considering the old one was full of scratches from the wipers before i bought the car, it was money well spent in my mind!

Offline Ferdinor

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2011, 12:49 »
Thanks for the replies guys  :smiley: Well i havnt got insurance atm as im doing my lessons and when i do get insurance it wont be fully comp  :grin:
But as for the mot i cant see how they will fail it, its right at the bottom (the little circle) that the window wipers form when the screen is dirty or whatever, its just for my own benefit of having a nice clean car  :drool:
Did read something about 3 part toothpaste and one part baking soder can remove a light scratch?
Crazy?  :grin:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2011, 13:33 »
Toothpaste can work on scratched cd's but on a windscreen i very much doubt it.

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2011, 15:05 »
minor scrathes have always come out using brasso (something I was told about years ago and have always had good results)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2011, 15:09 »
Brasso lint pads or fluid?

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2011, 17:24 »
Brasso lint pads or fluid?

I've used whatever I have laying around (I think the bottle with pads inside is better though..from experience!)
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk