Author Topic: XDS vs LSD  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
XDS vs LSD
« on: 24 April 2013, 07:43 »
Just wanted to explore the benefits and virtues of each system.

Given that 95% of the time most of us drive to work or visit the supermarket and throw in the occasional spirited drive, what would LSD give you over the standard electronic XDS system?

Having never driven with either, and will only get XDS on my GTD, I'd still like to learn about the pros and cons.

I guess my point is that for the vast majority of our lives in our new cars we're not going to be driving them on the ragged edge on a track, so why would folks pay the extra grand to get the LSD? It's also a bit annoying that the motor journos have only reviewed the new GTI with the performance pack. It's like they're being paid by VW to bump the spec so people feel the 'stock' GTI is a bit flat.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: XDS vs LSD
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2013, 08:06 »
I think it's like you said Five-O, the real benefit of the LSD will only become apparent when either ragging it round corners, or in very wet weather when negotiating a bend, when the inside wheel will want to spin.

The XDS system is controlled by the ABS braking system and effectively brakes the spinning wheel in an attempt to get it to lay down the power, but ultimately that means reducing the power to the front wheels. With the LSD being a truly mechanical setup, when one wheel is spinning, the hydraulically controlled LSD can lock up the diff 100% if needed to ensure that full power is given to the wheel that needs it, obviously resulting in higher speeds though the bends.

I think ultimately in a few years time, well see a lot of the GTI boys mapping their cars to 250-300bhp or even beyond, and all that through the front wheels. It's then that the LSD will come into it's own. TBH, never had one so won't miss it, but I think if a similar performance package was offered on the GTD for the same price (bigger brakes, LSD more power), I would probably have ticked it like the GTi boys, as I'd hate to regret the decision afterwards.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
Re: XDS vs LSD
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2013, 09:35 »
Yep, it really comes into its own when powering around and out of corners, or in conditions where the two wheels want to rotate at different rates.  For most people, 99%+ of the time it will not make much difference at all, certainly not £980 worth in my eyes.  217bhp through the front wheels is not excessive, and nor are the torque figures.  My current car has just shy of 200bhp and I have never had a problem with my car feeling out of control around a corner.  Ramp that up though and it becomes a different story.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep