Author Topic: Unique GTD/GTI instrument cluster  (Read 6395 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Unique GTD/GTI instrument cluster
« on: 16 April 2013, 23:40 »
Anybody know what is unique about the new GTD/GTI instrument cluster (which is bullet pointed in the price list brochure)? And how it differs from the lower models?

Cheers
Gaz
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: Unique GTD/GTI instrument cluster
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2013, 08:28 »
I don't know for sure, but I think it's probably just that the maximum speed on the clocks is higher than standard models, and the trim surround is a sort of "carbon fibre" style rather than the Piano black of the GT.

But then having never seen one in the flesh, I am guessing  :grin:
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2013, 08:34 »
I think I saw a photo somewhere that showed a red stripe running between the speedo and tachometer.
They used to claim that the MK6 had a "unique" instrument cluster too but I couldn't see any difference between it and the lower models (max speed aside). The MKV cluster was genuinely unique.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline AlanH

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2013, 11:12 »
Polished with unicorn tears?  :smiley:
Mk7 GTD | 3-door, Carbon Grey, Keyless, Dynaudio, Pano roof.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2013, 12:01 »
You can see a red stripe (light?) running between the 2 clocks in this photo if you look closely!

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline sam67GTD

• Here all the time
VW Golf R 7.5 | 3 Door | DSG | Lapiz Blue | Black Pretorias | Dynaudio | DCC | Rear Reversing Camera | Black Mirror Caps

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2013, 13:41 »
Here's a great pic on VW Vortex

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-group-at-2013geneva-auto-show/attachment/volkswagen-golf-7-gti-010/

Fantastic find that Sam! You can clearly see the red strip and the texture of the 'cyclone' plastic inserts.

I take it that cluster will look the same on the GTD but with a grey stripe? Also, is that the full colour MF display d'ya reckon?
« Last Edit: 17 April 2013, 13:45 by Hawaii-Five-O »

Offline Andy B

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2013, 13:43 »
On the topic of instrument clusters, thank god they've avoided this stupid fashion for digital speedo readouts.

They drive me mad... flickering away unless you manage to keep precisely the same speed all the time.

Offline sam67GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2013, 13:46 »

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-group-at-2013geneva-auto-show/attachment/volkswagen-golf-7-gti-010/

Fantastic find that Sam!

I take it that cluster will look the same on the GTD but with a grey stripe? Also, is that the full colour MF display d'ya reckon?

Strangely enough, the GTD has the red stripe too! (Well according to VW Vortex) in their labelling of this photo :-

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-group-at-2013geneva-auto-show/attachment/volkswagen-golf-7-gtd-007/

And it looks like the colour display too!

Definitely is the GTD dash in the second photo as the rev counter red lines at 5000rpm and in the first pic the GTI red lines at 6000rpm.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2013, 13:51 by sam67GTD »
VW Golf R 7.5 | 3 Door | DSG | Lapiz Blue | Black Pretorias | Dynaudio | DCC | Rear Reversing Camera | Black Mirror Caps

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2013, 13:54 »

Fantastic find that Sam!

Strangely enough, the GTD has the red stripe too! (Well according to VW Vortex) in their labelling of this photo :-

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-group-at-2013geneva-auto-show/attachment/volkswagen-golf-7-gtd-007/

And it looks like the colour display too!

Top marks Mr Sam! Another great pic. Seems odd to give the GTD a red stripe too (cost cutting me thinks). Should be white (cant really do grey can they) to go with the ambient lighting which is white for the GTD and red for the GTI.