Author Topic: Weight....  (Read 6292 times)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Weight....
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2013, 22:58 »
I suppose that it makes it 100kg lighter than the figures above.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2013, 11:00 »
They can make figures suit themselves by saying the mk7 body shell is 'up to' 100kg lighter due to alumium roof and bonnet but they don't tell you about the 150kg of added crap you don't need or want which makes the car actually heavier than the old one.

Jag have been doing it for years - alumium bodies but the cars get heavier and heavier but they say the body shell is lighter so people assume the car will be lighter. Mercedes and Audi do it and they weigh as much as a tank.

I fell for VW early press lies saying the car had alumium panels so assumed it would be lighter than the mk6 but all the stats I've see. So far make the car heavier so I won't be buying a mk7.
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2013, 12:25 »
The MK7 body is just under 30kg lighter than the outgoing body (due to "thinner and stronger" steel panels) and there have been some savings made in some new engine blocks. I suspect that the models with the maximum weight saving will be those with 120PS or less as they have a torsional bar rear suspension instead of the multi-link set-up. 30kg body + engine weight savings + rear suspension savings will probably add up to around 100kg on the lowest models in the range.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2013, 12:41 »
I wouldn't let the weight issue put you of buying the car it's the tech that goes in it that makes it better and more fuel efficient unless of course you are Lewis Hamilton  :evil:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2013, 12:54 »
Tech and fuel economy are 2 things which don't interest me in slightest to be honest

I prefer driving a lighter car over a heavy one. Weight destroys everything - ride, handling, braking and performance.

Its like Building a BMW x6 over 2000kg and fittin it with stop start is a joke. Why not shed some weight and improve the car in every way?

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 15 April 2013, 12:57 »
The MK7 body is just under 30kg lighter than the outgoing body (due to "thinner and stronger" steel panels) and there have been some savings made in some new engine blocks. I suspect that the models with the maximum weight saving will be those with 120PS or less as they have a torsional bar rear suspension instead of the multi-link set-up. 30kg body + engine weight savings + rear suspension savings will probably add up to around 100kg on the lowest models in the range.

The GTI body shell has some alumium panels so is lighter than the base model mk7

The aluminium roof was something that really appealed to me (Lower c of g) but the weight still goes up

Who the hell wants or needs an electronic hand brake? Complication for the sake of it and adds nothing to the car whatsoever except the cost of brake servicing in 3 years time

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2013, 13:39 »

The GTI body shell has some alumium panels so is lighter than the base model mk7

The aluminium roof was something that really appealed to me (Lower c of g) but the weight still goes up

Who the hell wants or needs an electronic hand brake? Complication for the sake of it and adds nothing to the car whatsoever except the cost of brake servicing in 3 years time

Have to agree with you on this and they will always manipulate the figures to suit themselves.   And so much for the lighter aluminium roof if you stick a massive panoramic sunroof in it - but at least that is optional!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2013, 13:45 »
I wouldn't let the weight issue put you of buying the car it's the tech that goes in it that makes it better and more fuel efficient unless of course you are Lewis Hamilton  :evil:

Lewis would go for the A Class anyway  :laugh:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #18 on: 15 April 2013, 14:02 »
It beats me why some people on here even have Golf GTIs in the first place if performance and agility are more important than technology and comfort.  Surely there are faster, lighter, lesser equipped cars out there that better suit your needs?
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2013, 14:25 »
They might not be more important but for some are AS important.  It's about balance and I think most of us recognise that tech and comfort has equal place otherwise, as you say, we'd be driving something else. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11