Author Topic: Seems the Mk 7 GTD/GTI is taking business away from the Scirocco  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
Seems the Mk 7 GTD/GTI is taking business away from the Scirocco.

A fair few on here are moving from the Scirocco to the Mk 7 GTD/GTI (me included).

Just wondered if you felt VW have missed a trick not moving the Scirocco onto the MQB platform sooner.

From what I hear the Mk 4 Scirocco is not due until early 2015.

Good, bad or don't care  :wink:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
I guess the Scirocco has been around a few years now and looks a bit dated in places (mostly inside) so Scirocco owners are at least staying loyal to VW which is something! Plus the mk7 has a lot of Scirocco hints on its styling in some ways (when you see it in the flesh that is, less apparent in photos).
Having said that there are some cracking deals on Sciroccos now which come with a pretty full spec in R Line trim.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
When it first came out, the Scirocco looked good value next to the MK5 Golf, with it's 18" wheels (GT), ACC, RCD510 and a bit of other kit, then it looked even better value next to a MK6 Golf. It now looks poor value next to a MK7 GTD/GTI with all the kit it has on it, including some amazing new tech (ADC) and stuff that was previously only speccable at considerable cost (foldy/tilty mirrors, Xenons, DAB, parking sensors all around etc which come in at nigh on the MK6 GTD/GTI price.

The MK6 saw a huge price hike over the MK5 (and Scirocco) with the move from the 170TDI GT Sport to the GTD being almost a 25% rise in list price for probably less than a grand's worth of "GTD" styling cues that the GT sport didn't have. At that point VW and audi prices were almost on parity for the A3/Golf - I wonder whether Golf lost sales to the A3 as a result when the MK6 was out?

I have always been a bit of a VW fan (right since the MK2 Golf 1.6 Driver my dad had when I passed my test), but the Scirocco isn't just for VW fans. Most GTI/GTD drivers that buy privately are VW fans, whereas the Scirocco is one of those "trendy" cars that people with no real love for the badge buy when it is trendy. Many Scirocco owners who aren't VW fans but were fans of the car came in off the back of the likes of Mini Cooper S, and may flit onto something like a high end Audi A1/S1 next. The Scirocco needs an update badly. It lags in equipment and there are about 6 imitators out there now which lessens the visual impact somewhat. When I got Roc 1 in May 2009 it was a real head turner, so many people would ask me about mine - that is long gone now. There are plenty of Roc forum frequenters looking to move on now and most either want a GTI/GTD or are looking to a BMW 135 for their next car (presumably for raw power not for the hideous looks).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline wigit

• I live here
I can see why, I thought when the mk6 GTI came out it made the rocco look a bit average, mk6 is far better car (having owned both) so mk7 is just going to do more damage (given GTI standard spec), an itch I never wanted to scratch twice, some said the rocco made the 3 door GTI obsolete I disagree

Offline SF-GTD

• GTI forum regular
I loved both my Scirroco's but there's no doubt that VW have let it fall behind a bit now in terms of interior design and other VW technology that's now available.  I really hope they do produce a new version in future years and I'm sure it will go back to the top of my shopping list when they do.  In the meantime a new GTD is going to keep me more than happy.

Offline pauliem

• GTI forum regular
I would have loved an updated Scirocco, I was walking down the street today towards my freshly cleaned Scirocco and just had to take a moment to pause at what an attractive car it is.

I really do love it and will be sad to see it go.

I would get another one for sure if it was updated, but I reckon that would be a long time off, even if happens at all.

Offline mortimerchris

• Not said much yet
Totally agree, my 'Roc has been good to me and still looks the business. If an update was on the horizon I'd wait but the new tech and looks of the GTI golf make it a great option.
The only bug bear in the new golf is facing to pay for ACC, I use mine regularly but would not pay extra for it especially as I'm moving from a manual to DSG.
New scirocco has the potential of being amazing going by the new golf.

I'm going from Manual diesel to auto petrol, id be interested to read other changes from your current car. Mine was mainly down to styling of gti over gtd twin exhausts and the fact I travel 35 miles to work on the m4 instead of just 3 when I got my scirocco!
Ordered a Golf GTI DSG Performance Pack in Pure White with Keyless Entry, Dynaudio, Rear View Camera and Panoramic Roof.

Currently driving a Scirocco 170 GT in Night Blue with Bluetooth, Rear Parking Sensors, DAB and Dynaudio.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
To be fair, in defence of the poor old Rocco (which I still love driving), the MK6 Golf has only just been updated to the MK7 a matter of months ago, and when the MK6 was top of the heap, the actual tech offered wasn't much (if anything) different from the Rocco. It's only now the MK7 is out, that not only the Rocco but also the MK6 looks old hat from a technology point of view. Things move on.

I do agree that VW could have had some more imagination over the interior of the Rocco rather than just drop the Eos interior in, but all said an done, it's still a nice place to sit, with very supportive seats, a cracking driving position and a good sporty drive.

To be honest, I think the MK7 and the Audi A3 (both similar tech and built on the MQB technology) have in one fail swoop made most all other cars in this sector (Astra, Focus, 307) look old hat - included the Roc.

Point is, if the Roc was a handsome looking, good to drive, fun car when you purchased it, then the release of any car doesn't diminish that, it's just as I said things move on and the MK7 has raised the bar quite a bit higher this time.

« Last Edit: 15 April 2013, 08:00 by Norbreck21a »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline pauliem

• GTI forum regular
I know it is crazy, but I am not actually going to sell the Scirocco as soon as the Golf arrives.  I am going to keep them both for about a month and keep switching between the two.  I need to gradually let it go.

If my girlfriend didn't have two kids I'd let her have the Scirocco and then drive it occasionally.

My other idea is let the GF have the new Golf (she has a Mk 6 Golf 1.6 at the moment) and keep the Scirocco for myself and then drive the Golf myself as a treat.

Offline mortimerchris

• Not said much yet
I know it is crazy, but I am not actually going to sell the Scirocco as soon as the Golf arrives.  I am going to keep them both for about a month and keep switching between the two.  I need to gradually let it go.

If my girlfriend didn't have two kids I'd let her have the Scirocco and then drive it occasionally.

My other idea is let the GF have the new Golf (she has a Mk 6 Golf 1.6 at the moment) and keep the Scirocco for myself and then drive the Golf myself as a treat.
My moneys on you changing your tune once you drive the new golf!
Ordered a Golf GTI DSG Performance Pack in Pure White with Keyless Entry, Dynaudio, Rear View Camera and Panoramic Roof.

Currently driving a Scirocco 170 GT in Night Blue with Bluetooth, Rear Parking Sensors, DAB and Dynaudio.