Author Topic: Is Choosing the GTD Crazy?  (Read 17693 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Is Choosing the GTD Crazy?
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2013, 12:44 »
You can compare the 2 for running costs on the VW site.
http://www.volkswagencomparison.co.uk/volkswagen/home?kee=501879
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 14 April 2013, 13:12 »
You can compare the 2 for running costs on the VW site.
http://www.volkswagencomparison.co.uk/volkswagen/home?kee=501879

Did anyone notice anything interesting about the comparator when comparing GTD and GTI? I was very interested in the residual value. The final rental/guaranteed future value on my solutions paperwork for the GTD 5 door is £14406, meaning that it supposedly holds 55.6% of it's retailed value at 3 years (54.3% for the GTI). The comparator states a retained value of 46.08% and 42.76% for the GTD and GTI respectively. Unless there is a mistake on the comparator figures it would seem that the solutions final rental/guaranteed future value is artificially high to make the finance so attractive and when 3 years comes, there may be no collateral in the car to use towards your next VW if you don't pay it off. In that case it would make more sense to walk away when the final rental is due and start a fresh finance scheme with no contribution from the last car.

Is there anyone here that got appreciably more in "part-ex" on their MK6 GTD/GTI at 3 years old than their quoted final rental/guaranteed future value on their solutions finance?

If the figures are to be believed then a GTD is £900 a year (£75 a month) cheaper to run than a GTI between less fuel, lower road tax and higher residual values. If you take on board solutions guaranteed value instead of the comparator residual value then the GTD and GTI are approximately £1k a year cheaper to run than the comparator would suggest.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #22 on: 14 April 2013, 13:24 »
There is no disputing the fact that a GTD is cheaper to run than a GTI, especially when you factor in the higher residual.  How that residual affects you financially really depends on how you financed the car in the first place and what you intended to do after 3 years.  Personally I'm paying mine off in 3 years so am saving up each month to cover that.  On a GTD, with a lower monthly payment but higher residual, all that means is I'd need to save more each month to cover the higher final payment.

Interesting though how different numbers mean different things to different people depending on circumstance etc. :)
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 14 April 2013, 13:42 »
Gryzor: My main point of interest was the fact that the comparator quotes significantly lower residuals for both the GTD and GTI compared with the final guaranteed value that Solutions gives. That could mean that some people buying at the end of solutions are paying out more than the car is actually worth at that point to own it.

Solutions is geared to encourage you to replace your car every 3 years and maybe that's a trade-off VW are prepared to make - getting you in on solutions vs "losing" out a little for those that walk away from the final rental if it is set artificially higher than the car's true 36 month old value.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 14 April 2013, 13:46 »
One thing is for sure, if you replace every 3 years, with current solutions figures, it would be crazy to order a 150TDI GT over a GTD - it is cheaper to finance the depreciation on a GTD than a GT via solutions. If you are looking to own for 5/6 years and pay off solutions after 3 then guaranteed future value at 3 years is pretty irrelevant for whatever you buy.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #25 on: 14 April 2013, 13:49 »
One thing is for sure, if you replace every 3 years, with current solutions figures, it would be crazy to order a 150TDI GT over a GTD - it is cheaper to finance the depreciation on a GTD than a GT via solutions. If you are looking to own for 5/6 years and pay off solutions after 3 then guaranteed future value at 3 years is pretty irrelevant for whatever you buy.

Per your other post and this, I can't argue with that :)
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #26 on: 14 April 2013, 17:29 »
How does this post fit for people who buy for their cars for cash? Is it still 'crazy' to buy a GTD over a GTI as I just have? (This thread has placed many seeds of doubt into my head. Orders placed now - too late to change).

I guess most people on this forum are natural petrol heads and deep, deep down don't really rate oil burners. Is that a fair comment?

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Gaz
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline ROO1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 14 April 2013, 17:37 »
How does this post fit for people who buy for their cars for cash? Is it still 'crazy' to buy a GTD over a GTI as I just have? (This thread has placed many seeds of doubt into my head. Orders placed now - too late to change).

I guess most people on this forum are natural petrol heads and deep, deep down don't really rate oil burners. Is that a fair comment?

Gaz

I've owned about 20 cars ranging from the best hot hatches to the fastest diesels. The most fun cars to drive everyday in the real world are the fast diesels. That's why I've ordered a GTD. I'm coming from a 2012 Scirocco 2.0 TSI DSG and I think it's an unexciting and poor sounding engine
Mk7 Golf GTD on order for 64 plate delivery
5 door
Pure White

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 14 April 2013, 17:41 »
ROO1, you know you probably won't get out of here alive with statements like that  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

(but i'm with you - currently drive a diesel Rocco which is huge amounts of fun).
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #29 on: 14 April 2013, 17:47 »

Gaz

I've owned about 20 cars ranging from the best hot hatches to the fastest diesels. The most fun cars to drive everyday in the real world are the fast diesels. That's why I've ordered a GTD. I'm coming from a 2012 Scirocco 2.0 TSI DSG and I think it's an unexciting and poor sounding engine

Be interested to know two things:

What do you mean by driving I the real world?
And what's wrong with the current Scirocco 2.0 TSI? (199 or 210)

Gaz
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR