Author Topic: Is Choosing the GTD Crazy?  (Read 17672 times)

Offline AAddict

• I live here
Re: Is Choosing the GTD Crazy?
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2013, 10:53 »
My heart wants the GTI, but it's stretching my monthly budget the wrong side of comfortable.  :huh:

Why not wait a bit and save up then?

Because my trade in is worth the Maximum deposit on the PCP's for either car, I plan on using the full amount as I intend to keep/buy the car for 5-6 years. The £50 a month extra on the PCP payment may not sound loads, but it makes enough of a difference for me to question GTI/GTD if that makes sense.
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2013, 10:57 »
Well, I did the maths on annual running costs using the stated combined mileage.  On 10,000 miles a year, which I rarely do (7,000 on average), taking into account lower tax and everything, the savings were about £400 a year at current rates and my insurance costs.  OK, so that's a decent chunk of money, but it's not when you consider what you are losing in part-exchange and depreciation by getting the car in the first place.

Now, for a company car owner, the GTD is a more practical choice because the tax will be a lot lower.  For a private buyer, I just don't see the logic.  If a private buyer can afford to trade up to a car as expensive as the GTD, then surely they can afford to run a GTI?!  I actually considered it due to the lower monthly payments, but I knew that I'd regret it, because what I really want is the GTI for its looks, its smooth power delivery and nimble handling.

I went with my heart, like it did last time, and I know I have made the right decision.  For me, the GTI is refined enough to be an everyday car already.  It's not about racing at the lights, or how fast you can overtake on the motorway.  For me it's about having a connection with my car, and that's something I wouldn't get with the GTD, because I knew it's trying to be a GTI, but not quite getting there.  For that same reason, I get why people like the GTD.

I plan on keeping mine for several years too, which is why I come back to depreciation.  Once the 3 years are up and you own the car, suddenly you have all that spare money each month.  After which, two monthly payments more than covers the increased annual running costs of the GTI over the GTD.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2013, 11:00 »
Well, I did the maths on annual running costs using the stated combined mileage.  On 10,000 miles a year, which I rarely do (7,000 on average), taking into account lower tax and everything, the savings were about £400 a year at current rates and my insurance costs.  OK, so that's a decent chunk of money, but it's not when you consider what you are losing in part-exchange and depreciation by getting the car in the first place.

Now, for a company car owner, the GTD is a more practical choice because the tax will be a lot lower.  For a private buyer, I just don't see the logic.  If a private buyer can afford to trade up to a car as expensive as the GTD, then surely they can afford to run a GTI?!  I actually considered it due to the lower monthly payments, but I knew that I'd regret it, because what I really want is the GTI for its looks, its smooth power delivery and nimble handling.

I went with my heart, like it did last time, and I know I have made the right decision.  For me, the GTI is refined enough to be an everyday car already.  It's not about racing at the lights, or how fast you can overtake on the motorway.  For me it's about having a connection with my car, and that's something I wouldn't get with the GTD, because I knew it's trying to be a GTI, but not quite getting there.  For that same reason, I get why people like the GTD.

I plan on keeping mine for several years too, which is why I come back to depreciation.  Once the 3 years are up and you own the car, suddenly you have all that spare money each month.  After which, two monthly payments more than covers the increased annual running costs of the GTI over the GTD.

Wise words indeed  :rolleyes:, I'm pretty sure I need to either work out if I can afford the GTI or move onto something cheaper. My issue with some of the cheaper options is that I know I won't want to keep for longer than 3yrs.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2013, 11:02 by AAddict »

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2013, 11:01 »
Well, I did the maths on annual running costs using the stated combined mileage.

If we all did the maths, nothing would justify buying a new car and we would all be driving round in 10 year old Polo's.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2013, 11:03 »
Well, I did the maths on annual running costs using the stated combined mileage.

If we all did the maths, nothing would justify buying a new car and we would all be driving round in 10 year old Polo's.

Ain't that the truth, but you can't beat that smell  :laugh:

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2013, 11:14 »
So true, but what we are doing here is comparing two very similarly priced, reasonavly expensive cars that don't actually have that much between them in pure running costs.

Yes we all have financial limits, and maybe for some, that £50 a month difference plus the £400 a year saving might be enough to sway it.   Just ask yourself one question.  If they only made a GTI, would you go for it?  If you actually want a GTD, that's great.  Sounds to me as though you would be compromising on what you want, and then you run the risk of not being happy with it, despite it still being a great car.

The is also the consideration that diesels are not really happy with short trips and low mileage in general.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2013, 11:21 by Gryzor »

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2013, 11:27 »
The is also the consideration that diesels are not really happy with short trips and low mileage in general.

Short trip yes, but how is low mileage an issue? My GT TDI 140 does around 4000 mile a year, but the vast majority of those miles are long motorway journeys.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2013, 11:39 »
Fair enough on the low mileage as you are right, it could be 1000 miles a year on just two long journeys.

At the end of the day, there is more to car ownership than fuel, tax and insurance.  As already said, if we all do the maths we'll never buy a new car, so it obviously comes down to what you can afford.  To that end, I still maintain that if the decision to get a GTD over a GTI is based purely on economy, maybe you are in the wrong price bracket to start with, especially if your annual mileage is also really low.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2013, 11:45 »
My heart wants the GTI, but it's stretching my monthly budget the wrong side of comfortable.  ???

Why not wait a bit and save up then?

Because my trade in is worth the Maximum deposit on the PCP's for either car, I plan on using the full amount as I intend to keep/buy the car for 5-6 years. The £50 a month extra on the PCP payment may not sound loads, but it makes enough of a difference for me to question GTI/GTD if that makes sense.

If you want to keep the car for 5-6 why not consider finance? I'm not a huge fan of PCP at the best of times as unless you pay the balloon payment you'll never own the car. >:(
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 14 April 2013, 12:02 »
Having spent a fair bit of time in both GTI and GTD mk6s there really isn't that much difference in performance between the two in day to day running as standard cars go.
If your low mileage involves a fair amount of A road driving and dual carriageways/motorways etc then the GTD is a very relaxing way to do the miles with that sporty edge and huge torque for when you're in the mood. But as said, if it's a lot of stop start driving then the Diesel isn't so happy.
The extra torque of the mk7 GTI should make it a bit more satisfying to drive than earlier GTIs anyway and possibly make it a bit more economical.

I'm pretty torn between a GTI and GTD myself despite doing a fairly low annual mileage (although it has been higher than normal the last six months) as nearly all my Golf driving is fast dual carriageways where torque is far more relevant than the wider power band of the GTI.
If nothing else the actual time spent stood in the cold and wet filling up with fuel should be less frequent in a GTD which is worth a fair bit in itself and makes the car 'feel' cheaper to run!!

For a GTI I think a manual gearbox is more satisfying but a GTD would work better with a DSG as that car needs a lot more gear changes in give and take driving. I can run round town in my current mk6 GTI and not have to change gear too much but in the GTDs I drive (plus regular use of Caddy vans with the 2.0 and 1.6 TDI engines) they're up and down the box all the time until you hit a bit of open road.

A GTD with a modified ECU is a real weapon in daily driving just using the torque and higher gearing to slingshot yourself around.  :evil:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner