Author Topic: Potential new Golf GTI 7.5 PP ( coming from a VWR32 mark 4 )  (Read 10174 times)

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
Re: Potential new Golf GTI 7.5 PP ( coming from a VWR32 mark 4 )
« Reply #30 on: 10 March 2019, 14:05 »
Afternoon all

Just a quick hello coming from owning a VWR32 (2003 mark 4) for that last 14 years now coming upto 90,000miles im after a mark 7.5 3 door manual performance pack! Not sure about the current availability of GTI's performance pack wise ? have been browsing VW's site but not many about.

I have recently done a price check on a brand new car on the config site which came in at @ £33,000 all I really want as extras are
1. 19" Brascia wheels
2. sat nav ( standard )
3. dynaudio
4. manual transmission ( not keen on DSG )

not really fussed about  other items to add on, are VW accepting to bringing a quote down from £33,000 ? also are wait times from proceeding with an order within 3 months, have read on here from various posts things have been speeding up post WLTP?

I think the GTI 7.5 looks great with the 19" wheels not really keen on the "R" as Io don't think it looks aggressive enough but that's my opinion?

thanks again
Late to the party.

I have owned three narrow angle VR6 engined cars. That is one wonderful power unit!

My Mk3 Golf VR6 was a nightmare regarding reliability, but my 2005 TT Roadster and 2007 TT Coupe were both brilliant cars...due to "that" engne.

My most recent VAG car is a Mk7 Golf Gti (DSG, as both my TT's were) which is rather excellent and I actually prefer it over the 3.2's due to the driving characteristics rather than the engine...I still think the early 1990's narrow angle VW V6 engine is a classic.

However, for me my 2003 Audi S4 Avant is still my favourite car.
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 10 March 2019, 16:32 »
Thanks Moro

Yes having owned the R32 for 14 years now and having it from 2 years old the engine has been brilliant but at the same time it feels sluggish, I have been tempted to modify the engine but interest from myself has declined over the last 8 years due to the cost of modifying and the car aging, and now the time is almost up as the new car is on the horizon.

I know the Audis use the same engine platforms A3,TT,Golf GTI etc, the 3.2 engine was dropped in 2008/9 with the credit crunch etc I think VW/Audi dropped the 3.2 as people wanted more fuel efficient small sports cars, similar problem was the VR6 corrado / Golf in 1996 people weren't buying small sports cars in that era post housing crash in the 1990s.

Fuel reasons as well the R32 gave me approximately 240-280 miles per tank and I have read on these forums the GTI will give me @ 400 miles per tank which will be beneficial and practical

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 12 March 2019, 13:19 »
Fuel economy was never a strong point of those narrow angle V6's. I always seemed to get a little under 30mpg (the Audi 4.2 V8 did 26mpg), and my Mk7 Gti does nearer to 40mpg than 35mpg.

Given the weight penalty of your car I am also sure a Mk7 will seem (and be) quicker...
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 12 March 2019, 16:58 »
Thanks for the Moro

Yes the weight will be the biggest difference as the car will accelerate quicker on a mark 7 compared to a mark 4. I may miss the grunt and sound of the V6 but I barely had the windows open to hear the lovely exhaust. My mileage is @ 4000-5000 per annum so will be happy with a 7.5 for my needs

thanks

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 12 March 2019, 17:08 »
Particularly with a pedal box fitted to recreate the throttle response of the NA VR6, you’ll find the turbo thrust and low to mid range torque far more satisfying than the 3.2 could provide (the R36 was better for this and in my opinion should have been the engine used in the Golf too) in daily driving.
The GTI lacks the sheer symphony and experience of the R32 at high revs, naturally, but in the parts of the power band where you (likely) spend most of your time the torque and economy of the 7GTI has the VR6 licked.
In my not so humble opinion.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 12 March 2019, 17:50 »
Thanks for the views Exonian

I wonder if the 3.2 will return. I read alot about Ford RS alternatives providing over 350bhp and more affordable especially 3nd hand. But in the end it's about quality over quantity.  I would.like to keep the R32 as a second car but space and time restrict me to keep.it maintained

With the advent of the T Roc using the ""R" engine I would rather that been seen used on a Tiguan, maybe VW will look at that in the future.  Having said that the TCR available now to order and VW R options as more powerful engines but price range increases are matched with those options.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 13 March 2019, 10:57 »
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I owned a MK5 R32 back when they first came out...

The noise was intoxicating, especially with the 'flapper' mod done, but with that noise came the incessant need to stamp on the loud all the time to hear it, and that resulted in single figure MPG figures around town.  :embarrassed:

It was a good motorway cruiser and general 'thug', but the engine was let down by a lack of low down grunt and it made the MK5 very nose heavy.

The sad reality is that VW knew this, but at the time they only had one other option due to FSi being needed for emission regs. The 3.6 found in the Passat was FSi, but the 3.2 wasn't which is why it was phased out.

VW did manage to shoehorn the 3.6 into a MK5, and they created this RSI concept, but it never made it into production as sales of the R36 flopped and it became clear people were moving away to Turbo'd cars (in part due to the MK5 GTI's success)...

It's 13yrs since I had the R32, but I can still recall how badly it handled in corners, and it's no exaggeration to say the 7.5 will feel like a rocket ship in comparison, it's light years ahead of the R32 regards to handling, usable power and feel. OP, you will not regret your decision. IIWY i'd still try and mothball the R32 if you can, I think an unmolested MK4 R32 will be a future classic regards values.

:smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 13 March 2019, 13:36 »
Thanks for he information KMPowell

Yes the R32 does feel heavy i'm sure the Golf GTI 7.5 will feel less stressed and technology wise more advanced when pushed hard, just having the R32 for 14 years and looking at your mark 5 R32 which what I was looking at back in 2009 but didn't go ahead due to change in work circumstances. Also am looking forward to the drop in road tax !!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 13 March 2019, 14:12 »
Thanks for the views Exonian

I wonder if the 3.2 will return. I read alot about Ford RS alternatives providing over 350bhp and more affordable especially 3nd hand. But in the end it's about quality over quantity.  I would.like to keep the R32 as a second car but space and time restrict me to keep.it maintained

With the advent of the T Roc using the ""R" engine I would rather that been seen used on a Tiguan, maybe VW will look at that in the future.  Having said that the TCR available now to order and VW R options as more powerful engines but price range increases are matched with those options.

I can see why they made a T-Roc R instead of a Tiguan R, the wheel at each corner chassis and I’ll assume lighter kerb weight more suited to the peppy R engine.
The brick like Tiguan might be more handsome and plush but I reckon it would need a bigger displacement engine or a bi-turbo TDI  to make it R material.

As kmpowell says, the GTI will feel far more alive than the R32, and once you get used to the VAQ e-diff you’ll find you can power round corners at speeds you’d never expect in a FWD VW with almost no understeer.
I also agree with the mothballing of the R32 if there’s any way you can achieve that.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 13 March 2019, 18:14 »
Thanks  Exonian

Love the look if the Tiguana very nice looking car. The thing I hated about the R32 was getting a good 25mpg then dropping to less than 17mpg on a set journey.

Looking forward to a 1st fill up.on she'll. V power when the GTI arrives.

Not sure on the standard audio of the cat as I haven't got the dynaudio based on the car I have arriving soon.