Author Topic: R32 as a Track Day car?  (Read 15612 times)

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
R32 as a Track Day car?
« on: 13 March 2012, 19:06 »
Has anyone had a MK4 R32 on the track? I really fancy myself a track car this year and have been looking for something thats going to handle well but wont need to much spending, can pick a decent R32 up for about £6k these days and i cant think of anything better!

0-62 6.6 seconds, 241bhp and 4wd, what can out do that for the same money?!

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: R32 as a Track Day car?
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2012, 19:24 »

Well, for six grand you could buy and prepare a fantastic dedicated Golf3 track car, which would be a sight more fun, and probably as fast.

I know if I spent only three grand on my Golf Syncro it'd make you in your fat-assed R32 look like a complete tool on the track.... oh hang on, it'd pretty much do that now.  :grin:

Oh and the running costs would be a LOT lower too.

Sorry.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2012, 19:31 »

Well, for six grand you could buy and prepare a fantastic dedicated Golf3 track car, which would be a sight more fun, and probably as fast.

I know if I spent only three grand on my Golf Syncro it'd make you in your fat-assed R32 look like a complete tool on the track.... oh hang on, it'd pretty much do that now.  :grin:

Oh and the running costs would be a LOT lower too.

Sorry.

Mk3 was just fwd thou wasnt it?

Sounds good but the problem i have is that i dont have the time to build a car, i'd just like to buy something i can drive there, drive back, stick some decent suspension and tyres on, leave the engine and have a good go on the track for a weekend every now and again :)

I havent bought anything yet but was just wanting some opinions :) dont want to be turbo charging/supercharging NA engines and dont want to have to do a phenominal amount to get it track day ready

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2012, 20:28 »
If you want 'something interesting' then go to Germany and buy a 2-3000 Euro VR6 Syncro, some good quality coilovers, rebush it and get some track day rubber on it.

Any £6k R32 will need the struts and bushes replaced anyway, so start on something you won't take a bath on come resale time.

Let me know if you need the name of someone who can circuit prepare the car for you, if you don't have time to do so yourself.

Your money will be better spent on preparation than buying an expensive base car.

Go mobile.de and see what you can find.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline turbokid23

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2012, 22:50 »
Get your self a gto 3L twin turbo have it mapped and ur looking at 400 bhp or a s3 mapped or evo 5 or evo6 there loads of cars with power and 4wd it's just personal choice realy

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2012, 22:52 »
if i had 6k to spend on a dedicated track day car, i'm almost ashamed to say it would have to be a subaru.

Offline turbokid23

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2012, 22:57 »
Thay blow up easy but thay sound gud, get ur self a Westfield now that's fun  :grin:

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2012, 23:43 »
subarus are quite strong TBH

problem is a lot of ppl track sh!tters that have allready been ragged lots and not serviced much and wonder why they pop when they have a pikey map shoved on it and thrash it some more.

fresh motor good map  they are sound
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2012, 12:47 »

fresh motor good map  they are sound

Thats what i want!

An S3 would be brilliant but what S3 can you pick up for 6k! I really dont like any jap crap, even though they are well built and definitely fit for purpose

What about an E46 M3 CSL?  :cool:

What running gear is in a Westfield? I had thought caterham but I dont like the idea of ford running gear haha

Offline turbokid23

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2012, 13:17 »
U could pick a s3 up for 3k on a 52plate would be good 260bhp with map striped as well =  :smiley: