Author Topic: TUNING 312mm Front Brake conversion  (Read 49736 times)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
TUNING 312mm Front Brake conversion
« on: 09 October 2008, 12:45 »
I asked this questiona while back but cant find it so guessing it got lost in server crash.
Last time somebody replied with a load of good info so hoping that comes back this time!

basically what I want to know is what larger diameter discs and calipers can be found in the VAG range?
If I remember correctly there is some Audi TT sets that will give me what I'm looking for. 318mm dia?????

Found this recently so try this link!
http://bambergvr6.freeservers.com/golf_and_jetta_iv_312mm_big_brak.htm
« Last Edit: 07 February 2012, 20:29 by boneybradley »
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline DazVR6

• I live here
  • mk3 VR6...FEEL THE GRUNT.
Re: Bigger Front Brakes
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2008, 16:03 »
312mm is the correct size, think you can use your current calipers but will need carriers with the discs.

Got to ask though...why..? 288's are more than enough for a 16v..?

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2008, 16:57 »
312mm is the disc size, as Daz says you can use your existing calipers but you will need the larger caliper carriers. The Mk4 312mm discs are set back (in towards the centre of the car) 6mm compared to the Mk3 ones so you will need to have 6mm spacers or washers in between your caliper carrier and the mounting points. You will also need 4 longer bolts, standard ones are M12 x 1.5 x 35mm. You will get away with 40mm long ones. They do need to be the right strength though.

I'll post some more info up when I dig it out again tonight about what discs from what cars you can use etc. I think I also found a link on some Corrado site which detailed the job, I'll have another look for that as well.

Paul

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2008, 20:26 »
Ok this article seems to say it all probably better than I can. Saves me digging out the info.

http://the-corrado.net/wiki/index.php/312mm_brakes

Cheers

Paul

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2008, 11:04 »
Thanks Paul I will digest that in detail.

As for why, well I want a better brake performance before I get work done on the engine. The discs are on there way out so now is the time to do this job.
What I'm really after is twin (or more) pot calipers as well as slightly lager discs.

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2008, 15:07 »

What I'm really after is twin (or more) pot calipers as well as slightly lager discs.
Using larger discs (312mm will be 24mm larger in dia) will aid slowing down considerably. Think about a spinning bicycle wheel its easier to grab hold of and stop a spinning wheel from the outside edge, if you try it from further in it gets a lot harder.
I would try the larger discs and standard calipers first and then if you're still not happy upgrade to 4 pot calipers. Larger discs will also dissipate the heat quicker as well so should prevent overheating.
I have some info at home about fitting Porsche Boxster front calipers which I will dig out later for you. It may be overkill and you may well upset the brake balance of the car though.
A good set of fast road pads and 312mm discs should be more than enough to get your abs kicking in, and was good enough for VW to put on their Turbo cars including the 225bhp Audi TT.

Cheers

Paul

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2008, 20:56 »
OK the following link details how to upgrade a Mk4 to use Porsche Boxster front calipers. You can also use Porsche 996 calipers or 928S4 calipers, or any Brembo ones with the fixing holes in the same plane.

http://www.neuspeed.com/data/installs/99.10.89S.pdf

The neuspeed caliper adaptor will be wrong for a Mk3 and you will need to space it out by 6mm. I heard a rumour that Neuspeed will sell the adaptors seperately but don't know for sure.

You can buy adaptors from ebay and get them drilled to suit your own set up for a variety of calipers or get them to drill them for an extras cost see:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290266841932

Bear in mind these are only for calipers that fix through the front and not through the sides. You could also get a machine shop to make you up something locally.

Lots of scrap boxsters about if you want second hand calipers. If you buy secondhand make sure the stainless steel plates that the edge of the pads sit on hasn't lifted up, they can suffer corrossion under the plates.

If you go down the 312mm vag set up route you can get the caliper carriers from ebay or www.vagparts.co.uk who sell them for about £100.

Hope this makes sense and helps out.

Paul

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2008, 13:07 »
Looking at Willwood calipers atm so will let you know what I decide!

thanks again Paul.

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2008, 13:04 »
Bump! Not gonna lose this info again!

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2008, 13:12 »
I will sticky this into maintenence just for you len... :smiley:
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk