Author Topic: HOW TO: Change your FRONT top mounts  (Read 63418 times)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
HOW TO: Change your FRONT top mounts
« on: 07 February 2011, 16:10 »
If your car is knocking, driving a bit odd and you suspect it could be top mounts, jack the car up and put a lever under the wheel and puch it up and down. If there is play in the top mount and it's moving about they are gone.

Get yourself some decent ones. Febi, Lemforder or just go to the dealer. Don't do cheap ones fgs I killed some in 1300 miles!  :shocked:

Get the bearings too but they normally come with them.

Step one: Removing the shock:

Park it up, open the bonnet and undo the top mounts.

THE EASIEST ways to do this are go and buy yourself a deep socket to fit. Mine are 22mm but I think stock they are 24mm. Try to find one with a flat head, like a spark plug spanner. They are out there, or you could file the sides down like I now have. Or you can use deep swan neck spanners like

(Thanks Javalin) and one of these:

Jack the car up (somehow  :grin:) and put it on a stand on the subframe or something but NOT the wishbone.

Undo the two 18mm bolts and nuts and remove:

Undo this while holding the shock:

Now you can take it out:

Step two coming up in a bit but the lack of a 22mm deep socket and allen key has got me stuck.

STEP TWO: - Changing the mounts & bearing:

Pull the top mount off, it'll just come off:

Now undo the 22/24mm nut on the strut. WARNING. Mine are coilovers. Therefore all I did was wind them down and there was no pressure. If you have standard or even lowering springs you could need spring compressors. If you loosen this without them the nut will fly off, you will injure your self and won't get it back together.

If your spring is loose, you are fine, if it is under pressure and is tight you need some spring compressors:

Mine were a right fatherless son to undo, amazingly tight but in true Danny Monday style, we suceeded first one I hacksawed through the bearing carefully, second time:

Take the bearing off:

I now took the time to take the springs out and wire brush then re copper grease all the threads.

But put the new bearing on and put the nut back on (look at that arm :drool:):

Pop the new mount on:

Pop it back in the strut tower:

Then put the two 18mms back in, if you put them both in then pull the strut towards you as you tighten them, this will give you 0 camber.

Still not finished yet, will update in a bit just finishing the other side. This only takes an hour with the right tools, two maybe if you've never done them before.

But the next step is to tighten up the top 22mm up nearly all the way, then put the wheel back on, put the car to the ground and tighten it up, then tighten it with the allen key in the middle.

Drive it round for about 20 miles then get it tracked.

Finished:

Ignore the missing cambelt cover.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2011, 21:59 by Bellend »

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline MiiTCH-GOLF

• GTI forum regular
  • Low Life!!
Re: HOW TO: Change your FRONT top mounts
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2011, 16:37 »
I think mine have gone I have knocking when steering :( I'm gonna do them but I don't understand how to take them off do I need to mod the socket to use a spanner on it the allen key through the middle?? I don't wanna start and not be able to finish lol. :)

Offline cobalt6700

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2011, 17:03 »
Will a 22mm box spanner not do it?

1993 GTI 8v 5dr matt black and green - the 'sh!tball rally car'
1997 GTI 8v 3dr metalic black - the daily driver
2002 3DR 1.8T AUM silver - the new daily
1993 Jeep cherokee 4L - the weapon :D

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2011, 17:05 »
best way is to get the right sized (24mm??) "deep offset" ring spanner, and a 7mm (?) I think allen key.  If it is the 7mm one, either use one on a socket set, or halford sell a 7mm one with long blue handle for doing vw brake calipers.  Deep spanners - i.e. - http://www.amazon.co.uk/DRAPER-EXPERT-HI-TORQ-SPANNER-DRAP64607/dp/B001FCQVSM

(brake 7mm allen key link - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7MM-BRAKE-PAD-KEY-HANDLE-BMW-FORD-VW-AUDI-/300394539580?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item45f0e8ea3c)

Then its easy.  Ignore the haynes manual when it says you need a special tool - I got one and its the mk2 tool.  Doh. :-(

(edit -> Or get poly ones - http://www.floflex.co.uk)

J
« Last Edit: 07 February 2011, 17:14 by javalin »
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline MiiTCH-GOLF

• GTI forum regular
  • Low Life!!
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2011, 17:08 »
best way is to get the right sized (24mm??) "deep offset" ring spanner, and a 7mm (?) I think allen key.  If it is the 7mm one, either use one on a socket set, or halford sell a 7mm one with long blue handle for doing vw brake calipers.  Deep spanners - i.e. - http://www.amazon.co.uk/DRAPER-EXPERT-HI-TORQ-SPANNER-DRAP64607/dp/B001FCQVSM

Then its easy.  Ignore the haynes manual when it says you need a special tool - I got one and its the mk2 tool.  Doh. :-(

J

Thanks man just looked and there is play will standard ones be ok for coils or should I get better ones?? Top mounts***

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2011, 18:25 »

(brake 7mm allen key link - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7MM-BRAKE-PAD-KEY-HANDLE-BMW-FORD-VW-AUDI-/300394539580?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item45f0e8ea3c)

(edit -> Or get poly ones - http://www.floflex.co.uk)

only for mk1 & mk2 Golfs.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2011, 19:01 »
Updated.

I'm not used to all this on the road/drive work.

I'm too spoilt with working at a garage, quick air gun here and there are it's done.  :grin: :smug: :tongue:

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2011, 21:47 »
Just a pointer. You don't need to take the strut off to change them Ans ruin you wheel alignment. Also the way you have the bearing on is wrong. You should put the bearing on, then the top mount. Then there is a special nut that holds the top mount onto the bearing and also holds the spring down. The top mount shouldn't just come off.

Then goes the top cap once you fit it back into the structure housing and the top nut.

Its a common mistake that people make with coilovers because they don't come with instructions.

You can fit top mounts without removing strut especially on coilover due there not being much force on the spring. Also negates the use of spring compressors. You can use a trolley jack to raise the wishbone to compress the spring whilst you remove the top mount nut. Then let the lack down, remove mount and bearing. Then replace.

I've done it many times like this but may not be as simple if you have standard shocks and springs.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2011, 21:50 by tshirt2k »

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2011, 21:52 »
Cheers, confused now?  :huh:

There is a plate holding the spring down, bearing nut, then top mount sits on the bearing.

It's how the old suspension came off.......??

Cheers tho.

Fair tip with the spring compressing.

I'd always get the alignment checked anyway, but then I suppose I get it cheap through trade.

Plus mine was out.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2011, 21:57 »

:smiley:

That's exactly how mine is.