Author Topic: Another newbie setting off down the Slippery Slope  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Dunc245

• Not said much yet
So, here I go. Chocks away!

I've had my FAB new Atlantic Blue GTI PP for a couple of months now, and noticed upon washing that it's not that waxy. So, after some very helpful info / threads on here, and inspired by great pics (particularly Booth's Black R!) I've been shopping on DoDo for the first time.

I've always been a careful washer, 2BM, and did some clay on a previous car, but not used a proper wax before. So, I'm very curious to see how she comes up after some some elbow grease and decent products.

Was a bit confused by the choices of products - so have gone Super Natural for shampoo / prep and the Hybrid wax sample kit. Proper MFs and towels, and the finger pads things.

Wish me luck  :smiley:
GTI PP 245; Atlantic Blue, Art Velours, Climate windscreen, KSS, genuine 18" Black Pretoria.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Re: Another newbie setting off down the Slippery Slope
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2018, 10:48 »
The problem is the hundereds of products stating 'best, new, improved, special formulae, etc etc etc.
Worst is the scientific mumbo jumbo many use.
At the lowest level we all know a Golf door closes quieter than its competitors (what competitors ????), how do we know, because we can prove it.
But Hydrophilic/phobic surfaces and the tangent angle of a water bead on a high wetting surface, how many manufacturers claims have been independently proven under laboratory conditions?

Fact; My new Oct '16 car was Pro detailed from new with a ceramic coating, since then it has been Pro cleaned five times and self hosed once, twentytwo months later all traces of rain water are entirely eliminated after 2mins at 50mph - that is a fact, because I can see it and so can anyone else who cares to.

Wax gets washed off, even the best marine wax gets washed off eventually, that lost wax has to be replaced on a regular basis, good for manufacturers but a continuous drip feed on personal finances.
My ceramic coating has remained on the surface lacquer for a long time as I have proved to my complete satisfaction.

How often I will clean it myself is anyone's guess, but I am slooooowly sliding.......I just hope I enjoy the ride.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Another newbie setting off down the Slippery Slope
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2018, 17:08 »
So, here I go. Chocks away!

I've had my FAB new Atlantic Blue GTI PP for a couple of months now, and noticed upon washing that it's not that waxy. So, after some very helpful info / threads on here, and inspired by great pics (particularly Booth's Black R!) I've been shopping on DoDo for the first time.

I've always been a careful washer, 2BM, and did some clay on a previous car, but not used a proper wax before. So, I'm very curious to see how she comes up after some some elbow grease and decent products.

Was a bit confused by the choices of products - so have gone Super Natural for shampoo / prep and the Hybrid wax sample kit. Proper MFs and towels, and the finger pads things.

Wish me luck  :smiley:

Welcome to the top of the slippery slope.  Good luck!  See you at the bottom of it shortly.  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11