Author Topic: Alternator tensioner pulley / belt replacement question  (Read 1147 times)

Offline 2001gti

• Not said much yet
Hi  - think i posted this in the wrong section before, sorry about that, new member here .... with an easy question / request I hope .... no immediate answer found under search :(

So ... alternator belt been whining for a while, new it was on the way out but, what can i say, not enough hours in the day! So ... karma dictated that it snapped at the most inconvenient moment and allowed me to get only within sight of my home before the juice ran out and the engine fell to sleep :(

Had a quick look in the dark, clearly I need a new belt but also the plastic pulley on the belt tensioner arrangment has broken, half of it missing. Since the belt is actually in quite good nick I assume that the pulley broke and locked, then after an embarrassing quarter mile of high pitched screaming as the belt was dragged to its death over an immovable object, it final snapped, perhaps on a sharp edge of the now broken item. The snap is like a clean cut.

Anyway, i've just walked the remaining 200 metres home with the battery and put it on charge, but ... its pretty dark, I couldnt really make out how to remove the tensioner. I'm assuming removing this will allow me to refit a new belt and replacing it is the final step in fitting the belt.

Any one have any photos of this? anyone done it. Is it just as simple as taking off the tensioner, routing the belt and refitting a replacement?

Many thanks in advance.

J

Its a 2001 golf gti V reg. (2001?) anyway 2 litre 8 valve 115. (wow people slate this car on here haha, i love it)