Author Topic: Car spins up with ease  (Read 4813 times)

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
Re: Car spins up with ease
« Reply #20 on: 16 December 2014, 14:31 »
I run Avons on the fronts because of this issue, I need to get the power down gradually

I'm guessing here but I assume we're talking of semi slicks. I also run semi slicks all around but still find it breaks traction up to 80mph in the dry. Think I need a better compound, ideally 4wd.

But with the big turbo (ish) going on this month I'll see if the lagg helps.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2014, 14:41 by rockmonkey69 »

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #21 on: 16 December 2014, 20:39 »
It's December and it's cold (well for the UK).

I just put Avon winter tyres (205/55/16) on my mk7.... the Dunlop summer tyres (225/45/17) spun in first and even second if you went on the throttle in any but a very careful manner. With the narrower Avon winter tyres I can hit 4000rpm (TDI :D )  in first without the wheels spinning..... all down to the tyres as summer tyres are sh!t below 7-10 degrees (depends on make and composition) as they get rock hard compared to winter tyres.

Also massively reduced the ABS kicking in when I really push it hard  :whistle:

« Last Edit: 16 December 2014, 20:42 by itavaltalainen »
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 16 December 2014, 20:46 »
Must be the road surface around this part of the UK and the south-east, I should have mentioned that my observations were based on summer conditions in the dry. In bad conditions it will spin up 5th (out of 5th) no problem. I should be running 255 width given my power to weight, especially with the power I'll be putting down soon  :undecided:

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 16 December 2014, 20:52 »
Must be the road surface around this part of the UK and the south-east, I should have mentioned that my observations were based on summer conditions in the dry. In bad conditions it will spin up 5th (out of 5th) no problem. I should be running 255 width given my power to weight, especially with the power I'll be putting down soon  :undecided:
you need 4wd  :smiley:

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 16 December 2014, 21:02 »
you need 4wd  :smiley:

Have to count the pennies  :whistle:

My mate has a 5 speed 4wd box laying around his garage and he's been planting ideas in my mind, it would be nice to be able to keep my spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel kit, but I'll still need to sell my LSD gearbox and find a 4motion shell.

I expect to be a little over 400bhp per ton in January and know there are many running much much more power through their front wheels with no problems but they tend to be drag cars running drag radials. Mine on the other hand is intended as a street/track car, so I'd like for mine to work on the road.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 16 December 2014, 21:04 »
mine could be up for sale soon  :sick:

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 16 December 2014, 21:12 »

You'll be gutted if you sell it and find yourself in a fwd/rwd stuck in the snow, just saying  :whistle:

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 16 December 2014, 21:16 »

You'll be gutted if you sell it and find yourself in a fwd/rwd stuck in the snow, just saying  :whistle:
will need to steal her tt Quattro then  :grin:

Offline MarcIV

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk4 GTI
« Reply #28 on: 18 December 2014, 16:27 »
Mine tends to wheel spin in the wet, can easily spin wheels all way into 4th however for a good start i need to be so careful not to spin the wheels but once I start moving I apply more power and after second I can lay all the power down nicely.  :grin: :tongue: :evil: :evil:
Flash Red Mk4 golf 1.8t GTI :)

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 18 December 2014, 18:47 »
Mine tends to wheel spin in the wet, can easily spin wheels all way into 4th however for a good start i need to be so careful not to spin the wheels but once I start moving I apply more power and after second I can lay all the power down nicely.  :grin: :tongue: :evil: :evil:
wait till its mapped it gets worse  :laugh: