Author Topic: Car spins up with ease  (Read 4816 times)

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
Car spins up with ease
« on: 11 December 2014, 13:29 »
Hi, I've got an AGU that's been remapped by rtech (between 190 and 200 bhp) and it seems to me that everytime I go to pull away in the wet (doesn't even have to be that wet) the wheels just start to spin up, I've tried it with half throttle, letting the clutch out slowly, basically everything, it just doesn't seem to hold its grip. I also have decent tyres on the front and back (Michelin on the front and continental on the back) so I was wondering if there's something else it might be thats causing it to spin so easily.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mo

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
Re: Car spins up with ease
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2014, 13:37 »
Worn or improper suspension setup can exacerbate the problem. Maybe try to ease off the throttle some, half throttle is quite a lot.

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2014, 14:02 »
I have fk coil overs, but I bought the car with them installed, so I have no idea how old they are. Since buying the car I've made the car completely level (arch to floor) and it isn't particularly low either.
As for the throttle, I think that even half throttle was a bit exaggerated, I've seen little 1 litre cars pull away faster than me without spinning up. I really have to ease off so much to stop it from spinning.

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2014, 14:30 »
Could jack the car up and check for play from various bushings, shocks can be checked with ease.
On the factory setup I didn't use much/any throttle to move off really, can't really do that now with my current setup but wheel spin when moving off isn't so much an issue with less grunt low down now.

Offline Tezmax

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2014, 15:02 »
I find it vitually impossible to get any power down in slightly damp conditions and yes 1 litre cars have also left me at the lights :angry: but if you have the grip in the dry i wouldn't of thought your set up was at fault.

1.8t Aum. forge 007p. 17" bbs. R-tech stage 1 map.205/235. catch can.

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2014, 15:08 »
I'll have to have a play when I next get the time. It's not too severe, but it's just a bit off putting especially when I'm sitting at a roundabout waiting for a gap, a gap finally comes along, I go to pull away and all I do is wheel spin.

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2014, 15:20 »
I find it vitually impossible to get any power down in slightly damp conditions and yes 1 litre cars have also left me at the lights :angry: but if you have the grip in the dry i wouldn't of thought your set up was at fault.

I still have grip in the dry, but it does seem to spin a bit in first still if I really put my foot down. I can put that down to power though.

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2014, 15:29 »
Water + Rubber + Lots or Torques =  :grin: :grin:

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2014, 15:49 »
Never fond of low down power for the above reasons, fwd in unfavourable conditions are at a disadvantage. Shifting the powerband up helps make it more drive able I find, wheel spin is significantly reduced in the low rpm.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2014, 18:49 »
thankfully I don't get these issues  :whistle: