Author Topic: front end noise  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Sugar79

• GTI forum regular
front end noise
« on: 03 December 2014, 13:08 »
for my car to pass its MOT, I had new inner tie rods and track rod ends fitted along with replacement wishbone bushes.. since having these new parts fitted around 30-40mph I can hear a noise.. sounds like a wheel bearing noise, but wheel bearings was not even mentioned at all on the MOT.. steering on the car feels great since having all this fitted.. little unsure what it could be..  :sad:

2000 Vw Golf GTI
1995 Nissan Skyline ECR33 GTST

Offline Bellend

• I live here
Re: front end noise
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2014, 13:48 »
I find that wheel bearings sometimes tend to get noisy before getting any play in them. Noise is NOT an MOT failure.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Sugar79

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2014, 14:12 »
just it wasnt there before i had the other bits replaced, could tightening up the front end with new parts cause a worn wheel bearing to show signs of being on its way out?

2000 Vw Golf GTI

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2014, 14:19 »
what side...is it the passenger?

Offline Sugar79

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2014, 14:30 »
not sure what side really, its hard to tell.. i can sometimes feel a very slight rumbling through the steering wheel when the noise is at its loudest at about 30mph and turning left on a bend

2000 Vw Golf GTI

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2014, 16:36 »
Hmmm.. sounds like a bearing. Is the noise still there when turning with the car out of gear?

I know my rotar ends on my hubs are quite worn and on the drivers side I am probaly going through a bearing once a year. ( I am planning on getting the rotar end sorted).

On the passenger, I get the symptons of a wheel bearing, however the wheel is solid and its kinda looking like the shaft/flange?? on the gearbox is on its way out.

Offline Sugar79

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2014, 17:59 »
Hmmm not tried it out of gear i'll give that ago tomorrow

Hmmm.. sounds like a bearing. Is the noise still there when turning with the car out of gear?

I know my rotar ends on my hubs are quite worn and on the drivers side I am probaly going through a bearing once a year. ( I am planning on getting the rotar end sorted).

On the passenger, I get the symptons of a wheel bearing, however the wheel is solid and its kinda looking like the shaft/flange?? on the gearbox is on its way out.

2000 Vw Golf GTI

Offline matty james

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2014, 21:45 »
mine passed its mot 3 weekks ago ,there was no mention of bearings but have started to get bearing noise on drivers front wheel at low speeds this week , im sure its the wheel bearing , so dont rule it out on yours .
mk3 gti"s and vr6"s,present a silver mk4 anniversary on adjustable coilovers.

Offline Sugar79

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2014, 17:58 »
well this is still puzzling and getting louder, dont think its the wheel bearing now as that seems to make a whirring noise this seems to be a knock that goes with the speed of the wheels.. cant see anything loose or anything.. new bloody parts and now this noise  :sad:

2000 Vw Golf GTI

Offline MarcIV

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk4 GTI
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2014, 16:16 »
Was the noise there before you took it to the garage??
If defiantly not then I sugest you take to back there and get them to check it out, the May have done something just a little off. Tell them the noise wasn't there before they touched it. See what they have to say about it.
Failing that take it to another garage and tell them wat work you've had done and you never know someone else might see something?
Flash Red Mk4 golf 1.8t GTI :)