Author Topic: Ongoing DPF  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Captain

• Just got here
Ongoing DPF
« on: 06 March 2016, 23:51 »
Have my GTD a year now and really enjoy it however virtually every time I go for a drive it will tick over for a period at 1100 rpm ( which I understand to be the DPF  clearing itself) and eventually revert to normal tick over speeds. Have had it back at the garage and they can find nothing amiss!
Anyone else experiencing this?

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
Re: Ongoing DPF
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2016, 17:09 »
If it's trying every time you go out, you're not doing the "right" sort of driving that a DPF equipped car needs.

Take it out, get it up to temperature and then take a 10 minute drive on the dual carriageway. If you only ever do a couple of miles a day in traffic you'll need to get used to doing this when the opportunity arises. It could be expensive otherwise.

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2016, 17:24 »
What sort of time does a dpf regen take??
Collected 09/04/16 : Golf GTD Carbon Grey Sport & Sound Pack DSG Pro Nav Dynaudio Rear Camera High Beam Assist 90% Tints

Still pining for:2009 BMW 330i M Sport Convertible

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2016, 08:16 »
Just a thought but what has the outside temperature been during these times?  If the temp is below 5 degrees C then the car idles at roughly 1000rpm until the engine warms up to a particular level.  I noticed when queuing in traffic that this feels like it goes on for an eternity, if I'm not queuing then I don't notice and never think about it.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2016, 09:44 »
At OP - what kind of driving do you do?
How many miles on a normal trip? How many miles a year?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Captain

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2016, 12:56 »
I have done roughly 14,000 miles to sine I got the car ( its 12 months old).
My driving style / times have not changed over this period so  that's why I am surprised that the DPF happens so regularly now........perhaps it is down to the current cold period !

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2016, 13:02 »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2016, 11:14 »
Just a thought but what has the outside temperature been during these times?  If the temp is below 5 degrees C then the car idles at roughly 1000rpm until the engine warms up to a particular level.  I noticed when queuing in traffic that this feels like it goes on for an eternity, if I'm not queuing then I don't notice and never think about it.

This. You'll get raised idle quite a lot this time of year, it won't always be a DPF regen.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S