Author Topic: Looking for some advice  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Kempy 81

• Just got here
Looking for some advice
« on: 15 October 2015, 16:21 »
I currently drive a Renault Megane rs 250 but due to having to travel further for work i need to invest in a diesel car. I am very tempted by a golf gtd just looking for some advice how does this car drive  any common problems on them how does it improve when remap added etc any info very much appreciated thanks.

Offline corgi

• I live here
Re: Looking for some advice
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2015, 17:19 »
The Golf GTD is a fine car for what it is. It does not have the reflexes, agility or feel of the RS Megane or the same character from its engine. I've driven an RS Megane...

However, I doubt you'll be disappointed, the Gold is quiet, comfortable, refined, with good grip and reasonable precision from the handling - you can even get it to be a little playful from the rear in my experience. The base performance is pretty good and it comes very well equipped as standard. Oh, it is reasonably economical, I've averaged 47.5 mpg in all driving - a fairly even mix of everything - over 32K miles...

There's the odd problem but nothing that I would call serious - mine has had the vertical parts of the spoiler round the rear windscreen... and that's it for mine, at least.

Those that have had a remap/tuning box have reported good results...

All-in-all, there's little the Golf does badly.. to me it lacks a little spark (but I have something else for that) and as a company car it is very good with low emissions...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2015, 17:22 »
Drives and handles very well for an oil burner. If you aren't used to derv power you might find it slightly different, but I am sure that you will quickly come to love the mid range acceleration you get from massive torque.

The tuning boxes take it to the next level of course but if you are worried about fuel economy, maybe you shouldn't do it.

Once its run in, without a tuning box, expect a long term MPG of at least mid forties, with the warmer months giving you 50+.

Common problems? Not really too many looking across this forum. The main one is large scale dissatisfaction with the Bridgestone tyres most cars come with, but they aren't so bad that most will pay to remove them too soon.

I've driven oil burners for a long old time now and the GTD is by far the best I've ever had, I don't think that you will be too badly off with one.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2015, 17:32 »
Kempy I'm selling my 63 plate gtd if you're looking for one  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Kempy 81

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2015, 17:43 »
Cheers for the feedback guys much appreciated I used to have a vectra cdti 150 had that 3 years it is with a heavy heart I sell my megane rs 250 as I love it but need to be practical and the gtd defo ticks the boxes for me.  :grin:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2015, 18:04 »
It will be quicker than the Vectra ever was - I had several of those in the past.

Much more comfy and better looking too (would that be hard?)

Is it going to be a company car or privately owned?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Kempy 81

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2015, 18:22 »
Private owned Fred not sure if going for a brand new or used yet

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2015, 18:50 »
GTD with a tuning box (easily removed for VW garage visits) and non-Bridgestone front tyres - a great combination. In my experience the DTUK box doesn't affect your mpg negatively - it halved the incidence of DPF regens.

My GTD seems to have been far more robust than my R that's just had a new Turbo at 4k miles.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2015, 18:52 »
Private owned Fred not sure if going for a brand new or used yet

If you're going new then look to get the Broker discount that'll bring a basic GTD down to under £24k. You won't get a 2 year old one for a hell of a lot less than that (maybe £22.5k but a higher APR if you're financing).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Kempy 81

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2015, 19:29 »
Best way to do that monkey?