Author Topic: Mk7 GTD - a review from the first year of ownership  (Read 12991 times)

mjh_056

Re: Mk7 GTD - a review from the first year of ownership
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2015, 17:33 »
Mine is 18 months now and at 16k which is below what expected to do due to role change.

General

No service yet and only put in 1ltr of oil which seems very little compared to this review.
Only one visit to dealer for 'squeaky' rubber gaiters.
Gave good clean weekend and interior and exterior in near perfect condition.
Couple of edge chips on the lazor edging.

Things like

DCC - Super Comfort and anyone who says it does not make a difference must not have any experience of this DCC.
DSG - Must admit down to 5% use of car in manual, have real DSG Love
Auto Hold - In conjunction with DSG makes drives effortless
Radar - Not fan of ACC as see below but do like the passive protection which most of time its warned me is due to cars turning left or not taking into account that in full control but has saved me once. Its nice to have there passively working away
Performance - As stated, its not a rocket ship but its satisfyingly quick even from comfort when needed, and more so when make decision to go into Sport
Styling - 18 months on and still have that satisfied feeling when walk up and get in as do when driving.
Economy - Considering doing less miles than expected and shorter journeys overall MPG is decent into late 30s and still get 50+ MPG on long journeys. Though it seems achievable do not think anyone should have any expectation of too much beyond 50MPG and nowhere near the 60s
Interior - Has that quality feel though think the dials could do with being far less busy. Tend to stick to the LCD screen for speed.
Heated Seats - A must!

Things do not like

Auto Hold - Why is brake light on? surely replicating hand brake is what it should do? The longer waiting the more conscious get of person behind me.
95% of time have no issue with start/stop but there are times when it cuts out just when would like it not to!
ACC - This is likely very personal, but never use it as it now just annoys me. Suppose control freak and like to drive car myself
Media System - Do not like is not quite right just think the UI needs a lot more work and screen could be of better quality - Sound - Have upgraded on previous Audi to Bose but did not this time and sound is perfectly acceptable. Have standard Navigation and it does what says on tin, works but again feel could be better overall in UI.
Exclusivity - Knew this would not last, but have gone from pretty much the only MK7 in area to seeing quite a few now, especially GTD
Wheel Spin - Far less of an issue now swapped out the Bridgestone's but having come from Quattro its something still personally struggle with the most in having to think about wheel spin in the wet. 

Summary

Very simple, If you do decent mileage and want sport/economy/comfort/styling as a combination then you really would not regret choosing the GTD bit of a no brainer especially for a company driver.

Given my reduced mileage and missing of the Quattro its very likely given how much love the overall MK7 package that be joining the R brigade.

Think best testament is that you sometimes look at other models for a change after being so long with one model but have no qualms at all for signing up for same again over Audi/BMW (though do like the RS3 if not little rich for me)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2015, 19:31 »
Interesting review :D

If you like Quattro so much and want an oil burner, can't you have an A3 184TDI with Quattro?

I'm fairly sure I had it on the Audi configurator before I thought "why am I paying all this much money for an Audi badge?"
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

mjh_056

« Reply #12 on: 09 June 2015, 09:45 »
Interesting review :D

If you like Quattro so much and want an oil burner, can't you have an A3 184TDI with Quattro?

I'm fairly sure I had it on the Audi configurator before I thought "why am I paying all this much money for an Audi badge?"

My previous six years of ownership were 3 door A3 S Line 170BHP Quattro :)

That A3 was a solid lump on the road with nothing then all acceleration. Can say with assurance now that the GTD is a superior car in every way except for the Quattro though they were on the P platform and not the V platform so sure the new A3 was improved also.

So did look at the 184BHP combination and the reason moved to VW GTD was because the GTD had lots of standard options as well as giving me room to add even more due to the ££ saving for badge swap you alluded to. That's a big factor as you really do not get much on your base model out of the configurator!

Also the VW GTD looks great in 5 door where as not a fan at all of the Sportsback styling.

Would only have an A3 in 3 door and having had 5 door for 18 months with all previous hassles removed and that would be hard to get past unless someone offers me a mad discount on a RS3 of course ;)

Will do the full garage sweep of all the marquee brands as that's part of the fun  but unless something comes on market that really turns my head its highly likely be Pure White R with DCC DSG and maybe Pretoria Wheels that replaces the GTD.
« Last Edit: 09 June 2015, 09:49 by mjh_056 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2015, 10:40 »
I guess its horses for courses, but apart from the Audi price premium, I would have left Quattro alone along with DSG or petrol simply because the CO2 figure kills me as a company car driver.

You pay one lot of money for the options, then a shed load more for it being several CO2 brackets higher - and the percentage is worked out against list price... which makes things like Quattro, DSG or an Audi badge even more expensive things to have.

Nope, I sticking with my nice green, frugal but pleasantly quick and stylish GTD :)

We also have a 130g/km limit on what we are allowed to choose from anyway - so even a GTI is beyond reach. Its burn oil or drive some kind of noddy car or an electric milk float :-/
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

mjh_056

« Reply #14 on: 09 June 2015, 11:44 »
I guess its horses for courses, but apart from the Audi price premium, I would have left Quattro alone along with DSG or petrol simply because the CO2 figure kills me as a company car driver.

You pay one lot of money for the options, then a shed load more for it being several CO2 brackets higher - and the percentage is worked out against list price... which makes things like Quattro, DSG or an Audi badge even more expensive things to have.

Nope, I sticking with my nice green, frugal but pleasantly quick and stylish GTD :)

We also have a 130g/km limit on what we are allowed to choose from anyway - so even a GTI is beyond reach. Its burn oil or drive some kind of noddy car or an electric milk float :-/

The GTD is capable in wet conditions but the Quattro is something genuinely miss.

The R would cost me more but not substantially from my calculations and that extra ££ is just me spending something from salary on something enjoy, have to have some reward for the work do.

As for DSG, never had auto before, never thought would love it so much as 'tried' it and easily saw myself going back to manual stating it was unnecessary etc. Be a hard option to drop now as would the DCC coming from bone shuddering S lines.

Something to look out for with company cars is how Diesel is now being demonised for its other pollutants as the goal posts might move in next 18 months?

The GTD meets current regulations but Companies are quick to move to be seen to be green and it might not just be C02 that's the incentive.

As you can see from my review love my GTD and if had to have another then be more than happy to have another if truly best option for me again. Its about 8 months till choose again so its a little while and nothing set and will do the due diligence to see what balances best for me at the time.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 09 June 2015, 11:50 »
I'm not sure whether derv is going to be something that you will get spanked for anytime soon.

As I've said on here loads of times before, Euro 6 engines are super clean - even on NOx figures.

Sooner or later road tax will have an additional modifier based on NOx output, but I'd not worry about Euro 6 engine vehicles... its the others that will pay a high price.

Which is probably why they won't be able to introduce it - most of the dirty things are commercial vehicles... and that lobby won't except a knee jerk unless they don't get a say because its an EU directive. Even then, it will be a target for something like 2025 or even longer...

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 June 2015, 13:52 »
No service yet
Why did you miss the service?

mjh_056

« Reply #17 on: 09 June 2015, 14:25 »
No service yet
Why did you miss the service?

Imagine I am on long term service that's mentioned here as had no request for service by the vehicle or any garage. Will check but imagine it will be at 2 years? or so many miles which not sure what that would be?

So not missed a service its just not had one yet and did find it strange oil and coolant usage in review that starts this thread as to this day only put 1ltr of oil in (and yes do check them physically also)

mjh_056

« Reply #18 on: 09 June 2015, 14:36 »
I'm not sure whether derv is going to be something that you will get spanked for anytime soon.

As I've said on here loads of times before, Euro 6 engines are super clean - even on NOx figures.

Sooner or later road tax will have an additional modifier based on NOx output, but I'd not worry about Euro 6 engine vehicles... its the others that will pay a high price.

Which is probably why they won't be able to introduce it - most of the dirty things are commercial vehicles... and that lobby won't except a knee jerk unless they don't get a say because its an EU directive. Even then, it will be a target for something like 2025 or even longer...

You likely right in timescales and was not overly worried on the GTD again for the reasons you state and sure the Diesels become even cleaner though can see the Electric Hybrids overtaking the Diesel as the green car that companies promote with incentives.

Wife fell in love with the Tiguan R Line last time we were in a showroom which is last thing needed as she tends to get own way on most things.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 09 June 2015, 15:59 »
Imagine I am on long term service that's mentioned here as had no request for service by the vehicle or any garage. Will check but imagine it will be at 2 years?
Unfortunately you have missed the service - it should have been done at 12 months or 10,000 miles unless you qualify for the special conditions of so-called Longlife operation (which is very unlikely unless you are doing daily long journeys with very little stress on the car).

Its up to the owner to ensure the car is serviced correctly but many are set to the Longlife service regime from the factory - which the majority of cars are not suitable for....