Author Topic: Syncro anyone  (Read 4707 times)

Offline blgdave

• Not said much yet
Re: Syncro anyone
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2006, 09:54 »
Would make a top project car with an engine swap and suspension mods. How do the trnsfer boxes hold out on these cars??

CheeRS
Dave...

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2006, 15:14 »
Synchros have the weakest of the 4wd systems avaliable, and they are not a permanent 4x4 either, they only kick in when one of the rear wheels loses traction. Deffo not the best system to put loads of power through. Need a rallye, or ltd drive train to do it really, and neither of those are easy parts to come by.

Either that or mutilate a haldex system off one of the newer 4motion motors ( i.e. mk4 golf, Audi S3 )

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2006, 18:01 »
the question I have about these syncros is...is it the same 4wd system thats on a normal syncro, like the one on that auction, that they used to put on G60 syncro's or is it the same as whats on a rallye?  :undecided:

Offline blgdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2006, 08:58 »
This is an uneducated guess but from SLicks words I would say that the system is wek due to being really a FWD set up adapted to take 4WD? Menaing the engine lies transversely with a tricky transfer box that can go bang easily.
Rallye could be (guessing again?) a North South engine set up as in RWD and so more suited to 4WD applications. Or as he says go for the designed set up as in Quattro cars.

Persoanlly I would buy a Rallye or Coupe/A3 Quattro.

CheeRS

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2006, 17:16 »
golf engines are all mounted the same way, side ways (cant remember if thats transverse or if its long ways thats transverse).

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2006, 18:45 »
i seem to remember someone telling me the carb synchro gear is useless after 200bhp.. while the rallye/g60 synchro is good for 300. something to do with independantly lubricated rear diff and stronger drive shafts. cant remember the details it was at a weekend show and everyone knows my state of mind at those things :grin:

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2006, 18:52 »
Also to do with it being non permanent, as they work by heating up the oil in the rear diff when spinning fronts are detected to spread the power.

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2006, 18:55 »
makes sense, thanks.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2006, 00:31 »
The Syncro is the same system as the Rallye, G60 and Ltd.

IIRC the higher power Syncros have a higher-torque viscous coupling (VC) at the back.  The rear diff is pretty much the same, though and all are independently lubricated.

The main difference Rallye to Syncro transmission-wise is that the Syncro has a rod-change box, the design of which is much weaker - the Rallye is cable-change, which is a lot more robust.  The two boxes DO have a transfer box to take power to the back, but it's not known as particularly weak.  There are a couple of differently lubricated (independent/non-independently lubed) transfer boxes that were fitted to the Rallye.

The Syncro-system (as mentioned above) relies on a VC.  This is a torque sensing device, mounted in front of the rear diff, which has viscous fluid in it.  The action of the fluid is similar to a cornflour-water mix, if you stir it slowly it's liquid, if you try to stir it fast then it goes solid.  This device means that the 4WD is controlled entirely by driving conditions, with no input from the driver.  It is better described as 'pseudo-full-time' rather than 'part-time'.  This is exactly the same as the G60, Ltd and Rallye.  Heat can improve the response time of the unit, but it works from cold.

The driving experience of the Syncro is hugely different to a GTI or other 2WD Golf.  Like the Rallye, Ltd or G60 Syncro the carb Syncro shares independent rear suspension and also has the stiffer high transmission tunnel bodyshell identical to the G60 Syncro and similar to the (massively reinforced and very heavy) Rallye shell.  With a Rallye ARB on the back to dial out the standard 'buckets of understeer' handling and a few other tweaks the Golf Syncro will run rings around many other cars, especially on back roads, or in the wet.  A well tweaked Syncro would be able to keep up with a Rallye, too - it's a LOT lighter.

If you kept the original gearbox, fitted 280mm brakes on the front and the 16V master cylinder, maybe some stiffer springs and the Rallye rear ARB, swapped out the GU head for a PB head with a nice lairy cam and fitted a Weber 32/34DTML carb you'd have yourself a cheap, light sleeper that would be a lot of fun to drive, too.

That's what I have, that's how I know how good it is.

Sure as hell beats trying to source obsolete parts for a lardy Rallye.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.