Author Topic: Mcguires clay  (Read 2102 times)

Offline rongti

• Not said much yet
  • 91 MK2 8v project
Mcguires clay
« on: 02 September 2008, 14:33 »

Just wanted to say that I was all geared up for a touch-up on my bodywork due to so many little imperfections, but just before I took the hit I found some mcguires clay in Halfrauds.  Anyway it was on offer for £15 so I though what the hell, and I'm glad I did.  I am seriously impressed with this stuff.  It's taken 80% of the body blemishes out and after the polish you can hardly see any and my paintworks 17 years old!!  Best £15 I've ever spent. :smug:

Process went like so:

Hose car down.
2 bucket wash with AutoGlym bodywork shampoo.
Hose car down.
Chamois.
Leave to dry off completely.
Clay bodywork with Mcguires clay.
AutoGlym Super Resin Polish.
AutoGlym bumper restore.
AutoGlym Car Glass Polish.

Took me about 5 hours but Car looks amazing! :grin:  Well worth it for anyone who wants that factory shine.

Will try and put some pics up soon.  The rain is preventing me taking any pics as the golf's trapped in a small dark garage at the moment, sheltering from our awful weather! :sad:

91 MK2 8V gti project...where do I go next?

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
Re: Mcguires clay
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2008, 14:41 »
Look forward to your pics  :smiley:

Claying is well worth the effort, I was amazed when I tried it.

I used this BH Autoclay http://www.bilthamber.com/autoclay.html and would recommend this or the meguiars stuff.  The BH stuff uses water as a lube so is more economical but just as effective.  :smiley:

Offline SteveP

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2008, 15:52 »
I recently tried the Sonus ultra fine detailing clay for the first time and found the difference in the paint work afterwords was huge. So much smoother.  :smiley:

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2008, 17:07 »
I used the Megs stuff and was well impressed. My paint is soo smooth now.

If I were you i'd add a good quality wax at the end of your list to keep the shine and protect.

On my mates Polo you couldn't move the clay across the car the paint was so rough but it's very smooth now I clayed it for him!

Offline rongti

• Not said much yet
  • 91 MK2 8v project
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2008, 09:33 »
Clayed it for him :shocked:!  You must be a good mate.

For shine protect can you suggest a good wax?  After using a few different products I found that AutoGlym are the best value for money but they only do the extra gloss protection in the £10 and under range.  Any advise on which wax is good for around a tenner?

91 MK2 8V gti project...where do I go next?

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2008, 10:45 »
for about a tenner from your halfrauds range try megs gold class wax... http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=66&products_id=167

spend a bit more and you could get yourself a really decent wax like collinite 915 which is very good value for money
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=66&products_id=186

Offline Dan34

• I live here
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2008, 13:22 »
I was very impressed with megs clay aswell when i first used it!

But if i was you i would ditch autoglym shampoo as it pants.

Also collinite 915 is a proper good wax used for first time other week and am very impressed :smiley:

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2008, 14:23 »
Clayed it for him :shocked:!  You must be a good mate.

For shine protect can you suggest a good wax?  After using a few different products I found that AutoGlym are the best value for money but they only do the extra gloss protection in the £10 and under range.  Any advise on which wax is good for around a tenner?

Yeah I clayed the whole car. The week before I used all of meguairs 3 stage products on his.

For a tenner? Hmm

I'd splash an extra £8 and get PoorBoys Natty Blue if you car is darker.