Author Topic: Indoor Equine Event  (Read 6071 times)

Offline TheRaven

• I live here
  • "I am female, I think the boobs are a giveaway..."
Indoor Equine Event
« on: 11 March 2014, 12:23 »
Hello all, long time no speak! I did an event this weekend and it was indoor and outdoor full day horse show and I was the only photographer. Needless to say I was run off my feet!

Really enjoyed it and have had lots of purchases from my site of the oictures, but for my piece of mind I would love some tips on how to get the most out of the pictures in the evening performance.

I used a Sony A65 with Minolta Rs 50 mm 2.8 (I was in the ring so no need for zoom) roughly around 100th shutter speed and 2.8 average aperture. +1 Ev to get the horses exposed right.

Any way I could improve upon this? Here are the pictures.

http://www.ravenphotography.co.uk/event/Equine-Rising-Stars
Professional Freelance Equestrian Photographer

www.ravenphotography.co.uk
www.ravenphotography.uk

Offline DubFan

• I live here
Re: Indoor Equine Event
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2014, 18:18 »
Welcome back, it has been quiet here recently.

Well, I would say my personal preference would be for a little/touch more colour and contrast just to make them stand out a little more.
I would probably a) want to use a slightly faster shutter speed to capture the horses and make them less blurry/sharper (but still get a sense of movement where needed, this is admittedly a tricky balancing act)
b) a slightly higher aperture, say f4 to make more of the horse/rider sharp.

Obviously when you are struggling for light indoors these are hard to accommodate, but one thing I've learnt doing events is not to be afraid of higher ISOs. Better to get a sharper shot at a high ISO that you can  use noise reduction on, than to get something blurry that nobody wants.

The other thing I would want for a sporting event is a fast-focussing lens. Is the 50mm the fastest to focus out of all the lenses you have?
My Canon 50mm f1.8 is quite slow to focus (it doesn't have the Canon Ultra Sonic Motor system), but my Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX is much faster.
I don't know what focussing mode you were using, but it might be worth checking the different modes out, eg AF-C (constant) to make sure the camera is always following the action.

Just my thoughts.  :wink:

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2014, 19:32 »
Well done of getting exclusivity and some ££

Just my thoughts if I was wanting to buy one of me and my horse.

In the indoor pics you have some great shots of rider on horse with a white wall background. They look great. But in many the wall isn't centered and you have odd bits of window & spectator on the edge. (pic 288,300 e.g)

Obviously I wasn't there and don't know where you could stand.

The ones with the kids are great and would be the ones to push to sell. What mum doesn't want a pick of her darling and pony. (326,349)

:smiley:

Offline TheRaven

• I live here
  • "I am female, I think the boobs are a giveaway..."
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2014, 09:04 »
Cheers guys! Lots of tips for the next one then! Yes the 50 mm I have is excellent for focusing,  it's pretty darn quick compared to a lot of newer lenses actually! I had it on contestant focus too which helped massively with the movement and quick focusing. 

I do need to stop being afraid of high iso. The A65 I use is leagues above the a 200 but it does take a while to trust it when you have been used to something else for so long! !
Professional Freelance Equestrian Photographer

www.ravenphotography.co.uk
www.ravenphotography.uk

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2014, 11:03 »
My old Alpha 100 was  rubbish at high ISO, but the 350 was much better.

Don't be afraid of it.

This was ISO 1250

Monochrome Mini by AlistairBeavis, on Flickr

ISO 1600

BMW Bubble car bokeh by AlistairBeavis, on Flickr

ISO 2000

Like a rocket man by AlistairBeavis, on Flickr

The other thing to watch is your AF points. The centre AF points are usually better at focusing than the outer ones. And the fact that in a shallower depth of field (ie f1.8 or f2.8) they might struggle to find focus.

Lens wise, I would suggest trying out something like a Sigma/Tamron 28-70 f2.8 which would give you a good zoom range for an event and a lower f stop.

Keep it up.