Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529627 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #410 on: 21 March 2016, 16:55 »
When Bailey launched the new Alu-Tech construction, they did so with a Mondeo sat on top of a caravan. If it will support a car, it should be OK for me to walk on it. I put my wellies on the top of the ladder to protect the van when I lean it against it, then climb up and crawl around on my hands an knees. My trousers get soaked through, but it's better than using a brush like most people do. I can also get into the nooks and crannies around the roof vents etc.

The high bits of the sides, front and back are reached off a step ladder.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #411 on: 21 March 2016, 20:34 »
Just a quicky as I know you like your pics Bec

And no, I don't tow it with the Golf, before anyone asks

Nice caravan and nice daffs   :cool:

Out of interest, how do you get up to clean the high parts - step ladder?  And the roof???

Shame you don't tow it with the Golf, as they make a lovely pair.  Very nice to see a rare pic of your Red Golf Simon -  it looks in superb shape, despite your shameful neglect of it on the car washing front.

Your patio looks exactly like mine (back of my house).  That needs a good jet wash too:grin: (only joking)

Ta  :smiley:

Dont jet wash the patio :cry: Instead use Wet N Forget http://www.wetandforget.co.uk check out the reviews on amazon US http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Forget-10587-Gallon-Remover/dp/B0019KSUG6

Its brilliant stuff, I use it on the drive, house, roof everywhere and I live in Lancashire - check out my drive

I get it from Costco, think its about £20 but it goes a long........way diluted

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #412 on: 21 March 2016, 22:23 »
Dont jet wash the patio :cry: Instead use Wet N Forget http://www.wetandforget.co.uk check out the reviews on amazon US http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Forget-10587-Gallon-Remover/dp/B0019KSUG6

Its brilliant stuff, I use it on the drive, house, roof everywhere and I live in Lancashire - check out my drive

I get it from Costco, think its about £20 but it goes a long........way diluted

Your drive looks very nice.  I jet wash mine every year and it's doing fine. 

The stuff you use - is it entirely animal friendly?

The reason I ask is I've looked at a multitude of patio solutions and all though many state 'pet friendly' the reality is different.   I have cats but that's not really the issue, I keep Koi Carp (plus Orfe and other fish) in outdoor Koi pond and many of the patio cleaners are highly toxic to fish.  My patio is at rear of the house and then there's a lawn and then the Koi pond with a full biological filtration system.  The risk of the cleaner getting into the grass and soil and making it's way to pond water system is just too great a risk and one I'm not prepared to take.  Some of my Koi are over 30 years old and I would be mortified if they got poisoned.  It's simply not worth it is there's uncertainty over the patio cleaner - I'd sooner stick to a jet wash and repoint the patio every few years.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 21 March 2016, 22:25 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #413 on: 22 March 2016, 14:54 »
I came into this thread excited to see some shiney cars after an 8 month absence and what do I find? Caravans and patios.

What's going on guys  :sick:

Only joking (sort of)
« Last Edit: 22 March 2016, 14:56 by Waspy »
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #414 on: 22 March 2016, 16:43 »
Treated my Polo GTI to a wash and another layer of Collinite 845 Wax and cleaned the interior. The piano black interior trim around the air vents and on the centre console is a major dust magnet!  :angry: If anyone has any tips on what's best to clean this with, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. I've just been using a clean microfibre cloth and a soft small Valet Pro detailing brush.

No pictures of the exterior, as I posted some in this thread last week, but a couple of the interior (apologies for the poor quality i-phone photos;

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #415 on: 22 March 2016, 17:45 »
I came into this thread excited to see some shiney cars after an 8 month absence and what do I find? Caravans and patios.

Only joking (sort of)

I thought it broke up the monotony of pictures of shiny cars, that's let's be honest, all look the same.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #416 on: 22 March 2016, 18:32 »

Only joking (sort of)

Well you've missed 8 months of shiny, shiny cars and return on annual caravan detailing day. What do you expect.  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #417 on: 22 March 2016, 18:38 »
Treated my Polo GTI to a wash and another layer of Collinite 845 Wax and cleaned the interior. The piano black interior trim around the air vents and on the centre console is a major dust magnet!  :angry: If anyone has any tips on what's best to clean this with, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. I've just been using a clean microfibre cloth and a soft small Valet Pro detailing brush.

Looks great.  :cool:

Regarding cleaning the piano black, use what you have been but also worth investing in a can of compressed air for blowing dust off (and in crevices) without touching.  It is a dust magnet but if more about what trim cleaner you use that can reduce build top of dust.  Get a cleaner with good anti-static properties which will help keep the trim dust free for longer.  But otherwise what you are using is fine.  I use Poorboys Natural Look Dressing applied on a WoWo MF and then buffed off with a clean MF. Use detailing brush (VP) and compressed air for the nooks.

Poorboys is fantastic stuff on all trim (and leather) and does keep the dust at bay for longer than many other trim cleaners.  Just go carefully to avoid scratching but the piano black is tougher than it looks.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #418 on: 22 March 2016, 18:47 »

I thought it broke up the monotony of pictures of shiny cars, that's let's be honest, all look the same.

Yes I do agree with you. Not posted many pics of mine recently for that reason!

This morning as did a full interior clean using the dyson handheld and then Poorboys Natural look on the plastics, and finished off with fastglass all interior glass, and the 'infotainment' screen and the glass/plastic in front of the speedo/etc.

The dyson ran out half way through, so couldn't resist getting the pressure washer out for a quick snow foam wash, rinse and towel dry. I have one of those end stops on my garden hose and I bought a new connecter to plug in to make an open ended hose for the final rinse... works great I don't have to go and turn the tap off at the back of the house anymore and take the end stop off, shaving literally seconds off the washing time!  :wink: after I'd done the wash, the dyson had enough juice to finish the interior.

Didn't bother doing the wheels with wheel cleaner as they were only done last Friday and with the gTechniq C5 on, the brake dust just comes straight off with the pressure washer.

Finished off with a full exterior glass clean and dressed the tyres with natural look.

No seems to be ok, however getting a few swirl marks in the faux carbon fibre plastic on the cover for the USB port that is infront of the gear stick, and sometimes it doesn't seem to be long before the dust comes back to these parts.

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the poorboys... I was not putting enough on, and also not buffing off with a separate MF cloth... did that today and the faux carbon fibre plastic on the cover looks great now!
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #419 on: 22 March 2016, 19:28 »

Only joking (sort of)

Yes I do agree with you. Not posted many pics of mine recently for that reason!

They do all look more or less the same, bar the colour, but come on!  For anyone new to detailing or trying out new stuff and spending hours on it, it's rewarding to take a few pics and post them up.  A detailing section without some pics thrown in would be a bit of a barren environment.  What you want is chat and pics IMO.  Better refrain from posting pics of mine for a while!
« Last Edit: 22 March 2016, 19:32 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual