Author Topic: All you MK3 people with problems...  (Read 31415 times)

Offline Overseer

• I live here
All you MK3 people with problems...
« on: 18 February 2005, 10:08 »

I really think it'd be worthwhile pitching in to make a FAQ (frequently asked questions) for this section..

like a troubleshooting guide of things to check...

a lot of people seem to be blindly changing expensive components only to find they don't cure the problem so I think it'd help those plagued by these annoying problems if you put all all your experience together.
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: All you MK3 people with problems...
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2005, 13:25 »
Yea the relays one for a start!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2005, 14:24 »
lets start in here then... which relays can sometuimes help cure what symptoms?

well maybe we should do a? major failures faq as well :grin:

well yeah they can problem be intermixed with this other stuff.. they're easier to document..

thus far i have experience of..

1) dodgy solenoid contacts? ?- car wouldnt start, starter didnt even try turn over engine. solution

2) coil dying. died while driving.. iirc the solenoid would click but the car wouldnt go, and wouldnt bump. solution:? new coil

3) starter going... iirc the solenoid would click but the car wouldnt go, and _would_ bump.? solution: new starter

4) a dodgy servo vacuum hose..? not really a failure that'll stop the car going. more dangerous as it affects it stopping. as? with any vacuum leak it stops the car idling properly.?

Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline davero

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2005, 17:19 »
i think this is a brilliant idea:

1.  i had a broken map sensor hose(manifold pressure sensor hose) on my 16v produced symptoms similar to a lot of misfiring problems others are having. this is the hose that runs from the throttle body to the ecu.

2. complete starter failure, when removed was in 30 peices, this also dragged electrical power from the car: therefore horsepower

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2005, 18:59 »
just remembered 2 more minor ones.

1.. erratic idling.. cleaning out the ISV (Idle Stablisation valve) helped. if this is shot it can need replacing. very easy to do, but if its knackered the part can cost upwards of ?250.

2.. uumm.. bodged car? lol.. someone had bodged a hose connection that comes out from under the ISV (from middle of the manifold on a 16v) the hose just tied off, it was meant to feed under and into the box directly to the left of where it comes out (cant remember what this is)

Offline davero

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2005, 22:18 »
the relays are numbered 30 & 167

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2005, 22:51 »
ok.. and which one is related to what symptom?

redcarboy

« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2005, 23:06 »
Only problem im having now is when i go to the garage or after a short run the damn thing wont start most embarrasing with the stealership next door..cant decide if its the immobilizer playing up been on the vag-com and it shows no problems and not being mechanically minded i might just get mi hammer out.. :shocked: :grin: :grin:

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2005, 23:26 »
^ uh we're talkin about solutions here ;)

sounds like a lectical thing tho.. what gets it goin again?

redcarboy

« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2005, 23:36 »
^ uh we're talkin about solutions here ;)

sounds like a lectical thing tho.. what gets it goin again?
:smiley: Only thing that get it going again is to leave it standing for 5 mins.. :shocked: :undecided: