Author Topic: Read and take note of the very limited VW warranty  (Read 7758 times)

Offline dickt

• Just got here
Read and take note of the very limited VW warranty

Just a quick post. I have never read a warranty. I just assumed that most things were covered. With VW they are not. Read your warranty!!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Read and take note of the very limited VW warranty
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2016, 11:22 »
Like what?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2016, 17:55 »
Never had anything go wrong within the warranty period for a VW (i've had 8 from new) that wasn't covered by the warranty, with the exception of cosmetic corrosion (whiteworm) on some wheels, a second dealership group covered it though. If you've been knocked back for anything failed/deteriorated that isn't of your own doing then it should be covered - care to divulge your findings?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline dickt

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2016, 15:04 »
I don't want this to be about me/my issues with VW. I just want to encourage folk to read the warranty. VW's warranty is nowhere near as good as Kia/Hyundai etc.

I,too have bought 8 VWs. In my case, since 2000.

I was just stooopid not to read the warranty. So I simply suggest that others should read it.

So-called wearable items are only covered in the UK warranty for 6 months or 6000 miles. So - with 32,000 of gentle driving on the clock, my brake pads are 20% worn.  That's great. Good for lots more miles. My Shock Absorbers died some time ago. Not a warranty item after 6 months of gentle driving............... 
I have never had Shocks go this early. Never.

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2016, 15:19 »
Does anyone take time to read warranty/instructions....it ain't called the small print for nothing  :smiley: It's only when something goes wrong that you're scrambling like a cat being held over a barrel of water looking for the warranty/instructions  :cry:
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2016, 17:16 »
I certainly haven't read mine but I doubt there could have been much in it that would've put me off buying the car. Things going wrong and who pays isn't high on my list of priorities when buying a new car. Perhaps it should be, but it's not.

Dickt, now you know, would you have bought a Kia or Hyundai instead? They have great warranties to attract buyers as the cars don't attract enough on their own merit.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2016, 18:30 »
Shock absorbers are covered under the warranty so I suggest you query why they weren't.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline dickt

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2016, 14:25 »
Mcmaddy,
they are only covered for 6 months or 6,000 miles.

In the past, the garage told me that VW would use discretion about overall condition/use etc to decide. They now say that VW are just not using any discretion at all.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2016, 15:17 »
At that point this is where your consumer rights come into play

I would suggest everyone find the number for their local Trading Standards and keep it handy  :smiley:

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2016, 16:18 »
As the leak was discovered at MOT just a few days past the three year point I struggle to see how consumer rights would apply really.

The VW warranty for shock absorbers covers against manufacturing defects for the first six months or 6,000 miles. ( a small print item I wasn't aware of )

Whether you could argue the leaks which could have occurred a lot earlier than the three year discovery point gives you anymore rights I don't know.

The annoying thing is that VWUK do not appear to be applying any customer goodwill in this case as they might have done in the past.