Author Topic: GTD Service Intervals  (Read 14222 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTD Service Intervals
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2016, 16:22 »

So basically, ask the lease company, do whatever they say!

Superb! So they advise people to ignore the manufacturers servicing schedule!!  :grin: :grin:

Well, they have to approve the work before the dealer does it, so they can't come back at you for doing so and its their car at the end of the day... but yes, I was like "WTF?"
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2016, 13:40 »
Pretty certain mine is on the every 10k miles/1year.

As I do about 15k a year is there any way I cna get this changed? Understand its different oil so could it be changed to longlife plan when it goes in for its 1st service?

It was a pre-reg car so wasn't given any sort of choice when I bought it.

Also are there any negatives to being on the long life service regime?
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2016, 23:07 »
It isn't different oil for the GTD. Whether you're on service plan 10k/1 year or variable servicing Longlife VW507 oil has to be used because of the DPF.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2016, 11:03 »
Been looking at this further this morning and VW website says it can be changed from T&D to flexible when it goes in for a service.

I will be asking them to change it over when it goes in for its 1st service, as currently this is going to be about 3 months away given the higher than normal mileage I seem to be doing at the moment (got the car at the end of Jan). It's impractical (not to mention expensive once the service plan runs out) for me to have to take it in for a service every 7-9 months!

Presumably as this is a GTD and therefore it should be expected to not drive economically every so often, then there shouldn't be any impact of it being on the flexible routine and giving it the beans every now and then, as from what I understand the car works out when it needs to be serviced.

Seems common for dealers to change them before delivery to time/distance eg 1 year/10k. They all come from factory set to longlife and if buying brand new you have the option but as above they change without asking to get you back in garage sooner.

Yep - no surprise really given it's Arnold Clark - they have a monopoly on VW in the Strathclyde area!
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2016, 19:41 »
For a lot of people 10k/1yr is the better choice, this is typically people who only do low mileage as the engine will gunk up a lot more with longlife intervals.

Anyone can change the intervals, not only VW - you only need a service tool like VCDS.

Driving it spiritedly does not reduce intervals much (or in my case at all - I get the full 18,641 miles or 30,000km), mine still wants to have a service twice a year despite longlife though. 
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles