Author Topic: VW Golf GTD - Carbon Grey - 18" or 19" Alloys?  (Read 16286 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: VW Golf GTD - Carbon Grey - 18" or 19" Alloys?
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2015, 16:51 »
I ran 19's on my GTI which has basically the same suspension. It was a bit bumpy but ok when you bear in mind it's a hot(ish) hatch. When I returned to running it on 18's it definitely felt smoother.
I ran 19's on my mk6 too but didn't notice a difference in ride quality so maybe it's just my imagination.

The only thing to bear in mind if you have to pay for your own tyres is that the 19" tyres are a lot dearer, if not then it's not something you're going to give a second's thought towards!
The Santiagos are a pig to clean too if you clean your own wheels, there are tiny little spokes you need to get round. That's fine if you're a detailing obsessive or do a low mileage but in winter they're going to get a bit painful to clean. That said, they do look good.

I'd add park assist to the spec too, if you have 19" alloys especially - it works really well and at first you think it's a gimmick and just show it off to your friends. Then after a while you realise how good it is when you have a really tight spot to get into, its raining, you're running late and you don't want to hit an alloy wheel on the kerb. At times like that it's worth every penny. I miss it on my current car.

The Carbon Grey looks great though, a good choice of colour.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2015, 23:18 »
I'd add park assist to the spec too, if you have 19" alloys especially - it works really well and at first you think it's a gimmick and just show it off to your friends. Then after a while you realise how good it is when you have a really tight spot to get into, its raining, you're running late and you don't want to hit an alloy wheel on the kerb. At times like that it's worth every penny. I miss it on my current car.

I've got park assist and totally forgot about it over the last years ownership  :rolleyes:
I used it the other day and must admit it brought a smile to my face as it made parking easy.
I would be wary though of it protecting your alloys as I'm sure it lines up with the car in front and behind if parallel parking. So if they have their alloys on the kerb, your car will also have its alloys on the kerb  :shocked:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2015, 16:24 »
Will go for reversing camera as it will hardly break the bank.

Just a warning on this .... a lot of R owners who went for this option do not like it. 

The standard parking sensors and screen are very good anyway, and a lot say the camera option does not allow the distances to be judged, while the standard sensors do.

Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2015, 20:27 »
Something must be wrong with either R's or R owners then as the rear camera is excellent and does the distances perfectly.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2015, 17:56 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2015, 16:33 »

I've got park assist and totally forgot about it over the last years ownership  :rolleyes:
I used it the other day and must admit it brought a smile to my face as it made parking easy.
I would be wary though of it protecting your alloys as I'm sure it lines up with the car in front and behind if parallel parking. So if they have their alloys on the kerb, your car will also have its alloys on the kerb  :shocked:

It actually measures the distance to the kerb. There's a setting in VCDS which enables you to adjust it. I've used it before when the car behind me had half parked on the pavement, and it slotted me in perfectly with about 8" from the tyres to the kerb.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2015, 16:35 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 10 August 2015, 23:42 »
It actually measures the distance to the kerb. There's a setting in VCDS which enables you to adjust it. I've used it before when the car behind me had half parked on the pavement, and it slotted me in perfectly with about 8" from the tyres to the kerb.

That's good to know. Cheers.
I must use it more often as I keep forgetting I have it.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 11 August 2015, 09:47 »
Something must be wrong with either R's or R owners then as the rear camera is excellent and does the distances perfectly.

Yep I agree...must be all the R drivers in so much of a hurry :whistle:

mjh_056

« Reply #17 on: 11 August 2015, 12:41 »
Upgrading alloys is only extra I'm going for as its a company car, unless there is something else worth considering.
That's dangerous talk in these parts... Tick the options... all of them :)

Reversing camera for 150 is a popular one, and keyless is great.

Do you have a limit for what you can add it being company?

Mine is Company Lease to and actually avoided the Santiago lift as really loved the Nogaro.

Not sure how comfort rates on scale but the DCC really does take car to another level of comfort.

DSG + Comfort + Auto Hold makes for such comfortable and effortless commutes.

Winter Pack is pretty cheap as options go and come winter them heated seats are worth every penny or if have any back complaint to.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 11 August 2015, 18:12 »
If we are still talking about a GTI or GTD (not an R), then winter pack is now standard equipment, along with Nav and keyless entry.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mike_f

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 01 October 2015, 10:23 »
Get 18"s

I bought the 19"s and have managed to buckle all 4 somehow....

Also due to the hard ride the number of rattles the car has developed is not too good....

Save yourself the £1k on the option.....