Author Topic: MKVI GTI Depreciation  (Read 11503 times)

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
Re: MKVI GTI Depreciation
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2009, 23:32 »
I can see the lower spec ones holding their value very very well for the next year or so but I think anyone who ticks more than the metallic paint option is going to loose money straight away.  Esp anyone who goes for the full monty 27k options.  The value of the extras will be gone as soon as they drive off the forecourt.  Sad but true.

ah but the options make me so much happier.... sad but true! 

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2009, 11:51 »
I can see the lower spec ones holding their value very very well for the next year or so but I think anyone who ticks more than the metallic paint option is going to loose money straight away.  Esp anyone who goes for the full monty 27k options.  The value of the extras will be gone as soon as they drive off the forecourt.  Sad but true.

ah but the options make me so much happier.... sad but true! 

Quite so and quite right.  Just making the point  :wink:
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2009, 19:39 »
If your even slightly concerned with depreciation then a new car is not the best route to go down. The only way it makes it slightly better is that it tails off after a few years.. so the longer you keep the car the less it becomes year after year.

If you are bothered by it like me then lease like I do :laugh: new car every year and no depreciation to worry about :wink:

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2009, 19:47 »
I bought my present car new in February of 1998.  I'll probably keep the next one about the same, so I'm not that fussed about depreciation.

It's probably worth about £500 now, maybe less.  And it's theoretically due for a service.  Nice of the government to give me £2,000 for it, at just the right moment!

Rolfe.

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 12 July 2009, 13:51 »
I bought my present car new in February of 1998.  I'll probably keep the next one about the same, so I'm not that fussed about depreciation.

It's probably worth about £500 now, maybe less.  And it's theoretically due for a service.  Nice of the government to give me £2,000 for it, at just the right moment!

Rolfe.

11 years is a long time to keep a car.
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 12 July 2009, 14:20 »
11 years is a real achievement. I find it difficult to get past a year!
When you think about it, the mk6 GTI could be an ideal candidate for long term ownership.
Most of the car is mk5 based (sorry Kev) so the electricals and most mechanicals are fairly proven and should be well developed by now. The engine however is revised and has no cambelt so should need a little less routine work. I would think most of the things that are likely to go wrong over the years Rolfe hasn't specced anyway (RNS unit is typical modern gadget and although all the rage now will be old hat in 3 years, and the rear parking camera is just begging to become faulty).
Morag: What is the secret to keeping a car more than 12 months? Staying away from temptation on internet forums is probably a good first step I reckon. I really want to get a mk6 and keep it a long time but the R model will effect me badly despite there's probably no way I could justify the likely cost of one, in fact I have trouble justifying the cost of a normal mk6 GTI as I get no car allowance and am not exactly on an executive salary either!!!  :sad: I'm waiting for a decent deal on an ex-demo car with fairly basic spec.......
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2009, 14:58 »
The secret?  You get fond of the car.  You still see it as that sleek brand-new model you drove away in at the beginning, even though you know it's not.  It's maybe an old-ish car, but it's your old-ish car.  The longer you keep it, the fonder of it you get.

It's really quite upsetting me, thinking about scrapping it.  But the time comes to anything that's been driven that far.  :cry:

Last night I phoned a friend, whose husband had been keeping a wreck in their driveway waiting for the scrappage to be announced.  I asked her to tell me about the new car.  No new car, she said.  The wreck doesn't qualify because it's not roadworthy.  Despite the fact that they need a smaller runabout that they can insure for their student son, after the older student son wrote off the previous Honda Civic (and lost his licence, silly boy).

So I brought up the subject of her own car, one of these Volvo estates built like a tank.  15 years old and 145,000 miles, and a tail light with a Heath-Robinson repair.  She's had that from new, too.  She launched into exactly the same spiel about liking the car and not wanting to get rid of it.  I said, now shut up a minute and listen to me.  Two months ago  I was singing exactly that tune too.  But then I thought about it.  If this scrappage deal was going on indefinitely then fine.  Do it next year.  Or even the year after.  But it isn't.  It'll stop in a few months.  You can't keep that car forever, but nobody's going to give you £2,000 for it if you don't bite the bullet now.

I pointed out that she is a senior member of the medical profession (and has more money than God by the way) and just look what she's driving round in.  She said she felt the old car gave her a bit of individuality, a quirk.  (It's a Volvo estate, not a bloody Silver Spirit!)  She still went on and on hesitating, but at least she promised to think about it.

It's a personal thing.  Some people grow fond even of inanimate posessions, and don't want to move on even when common sense says it's the sensible thing to do.  This car that's on order will only be the fourth one I've ever owned.

But if you're built so that you can leave your former pride and joy behind in the dealer's yard without a backward glane, then there's no much can be done about it.

Still, I look on the bright side.  I had originally intended to downgrade so something sensible and economical.  But I realised the only way I could be reconciled to giving up the Peugeot was by replacing it with something even nicer.  So, Golf GTi MkVI is on the way!

Rolfe.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2009, 15:05 »
I thought the £2k scrappage scheme only applied if you traded in for an economically friendly car?

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 12 July 2009, 15:20 »
I thought the £2k scrappage scheme only applied if you traded in for an economically friendly car?

Nope!   :grin:

Rolfe.

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 12 July 2009, 17:19 »
It is economically friendly,less emissions than most old cars hence cheaper road tax,i`m scrapping a 2 ltr 16v sport astra 1996,tax is £200 a year on that and only £150 on the golf so i`m guesing its more economical.
Golfgti build quality is average at best.