Author Topic: APR Power Figures  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
APR Power Figures
« on: 22 May 2020, 11:19 »
Just for my bored information, I was just over on the APR website looking perhaps at a mild map towards the end of the year, and noticed something interesting.

For a MK7 GTI it gives a stock BHP Figure from the factory (in my case 230HP) and an APR dyno'd stock figure or 235HP (using 98 ron fuel). So a 5hp increase over factory (possible just due to 95 ron vs 98 ron)

However they also have the figures for the models with the new OPF/GPF which it states that their stock run only yielded 224hp.

Does the new GPF really account for an 11hp (5%) reduction in HP ? I'm pretty sure my May 2018 230PS GTI doesn't have a GPF so I don't think it affects me, but pretty astounded if that's true that it causes that much or a difference ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: APR Power Figures
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2020, 12:19 »
Just for my bored information, I was just over on the APR website looking perhaps at a mild map towards the end of the year, and noticed something interesting.

For a MK7 GTI it gives a stock BHP Figure from the factory (in my case 230HP) and an APR dyno'd stock figure or 235HP (using 98 ron fuel). So a 5hp increase over factory (possible just due to 95 ron vs 98 ron)

However they also have the figures for the models with the new OPF/GPF which it states that their stock run only yielded 224hp.

Does the new GPF really account for an 11hp (5%) reduction in HP ? I'm pretty sure my May 2018 230PS GTI doesn't have a GPF so I don't think it affects me, but pretty astounded if that's true that it causes that much or a difference ?

That GPF really chokes up the car. Comparing my 2018 Polo GTI+ with no GPF to the wife's 2019 model with GPF (but otherwise identical):-

No GPF versions typically running 370Nm and 208ps (officially 320Nm and 200ps).

GPF versions typically running 340Nm and 210ps. So marginally more power but noticeably less torque.

I can say this is something very noticeable when I go from my car to hers - mine is much more eager mid-range than hers. Mine is 5% better on fuel economy too. Hers does seem a little more eager at very low throttle inputs, but mid to high, mine is more eager.

For the before and after remap dynos I've seen for the Polo GTI, The power and torque curves are significantly different between the GPF and non-GPF versions.

Someone did a GPF and non-GPF drag race and rolling race - both drag and rolling saw the non-GPF romp away early doors but the GPF one clawing back some of that deficit later. You have to wring the neck of the GPF'd one to get the most out of it because it develops its power later in the rev range, with less torque.

For your first point, taking a stock figure of 230ps and comparing it with a dyno reading of 235ps that just so happens to be running RON98 doesn't demonstrate that using RON98 on a car optimised for RON95 gave it 5ps extra. I'm surprised it was only making 5ps over stock (2.2%) if it can be considered 100% accurate - most performance VWs over perform stock by 4 or 5% from the before remap dynos you see kicking about, but how accurate is a particular dyno? You can only really compare the difference a remap makes (before and after dynos) - take 1 car and run it on 3 different dynos and you might get 3 different readings.

The car underperforming might've had a particularly crap run in, so many variables to consider. Who knows?
« Last Edit: 22 May 2020, 12:39 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline bogwoppit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2020, 13:42 »
BMW 128ti - current

Mk 7.5 GTI PP, indium grey, manual - gone

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2020, 16:56 »

They didn't make a FL 230bhp with a GPF did they, it got axed when WTLP arrived??
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2020, 17:08 »
You should have seen a euro four oil burner vs a euro 5...it was like they'd halved the power
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2020, 13:06 »
This might be the video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pACT2SUBI_c

That wasn't the video I saw, the one I saw was the 2 Polos. Those 2 RS3s are pretty close because both peak power and torque are very similar, even if they peak differently in the rev range.

On the Polo video (which I now can't find), the difference was much more pronounced because there's a 9% difference in torque.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.