Author Topic: Mk7.5 gti - how to make it quieter  (Read 18594 times)

Offline Npr

• Not said much yet
Mk7.5 gti - how to make it quieter
« on: 16 May 2020, 13:44 »
Hi , I bought a used mk7.5 gti at the start of march so have barely driven it. But I find the road noise much louder than my 2016 bmw 320i when at motorway speeds. Any suggestions?
I bought a sound barrier dodo pro barrier mlv under floor in boot and some towels around spare tyre but still quite noisy.Should I get e.g Woolies Sound deadening felt (Saw it recommended by a couple of people)? Fyi it has new michelin pilot sport 4 tyres.also I am useless at diy so don't want to be taking off panels egg or the car will seriously rattle afterwards

I like the car apart from this issue. Will post my thoughts so far another day.

Thank you.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Mk7.5 gti - how to make it quieter
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2020, 14:16 »
What driving mode is it in? Sport? Try turning engine sound down in individual mode.

Also check tyre pressures. The Bridgestone's are noisy anyway, but if you drop by a few PSI that may help a little.
7.5 GTD

Offline Npr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2020, 14:46 »
Thanks Will check tyre pressure
. I drive mainly in individual with all set to normal except exhaust in eco.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2020, 12:06 »
Fit the harmonic damper to the rear subframe....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-retro-fit-the-rear-subframe-harmonic-damper-from-the-audi-a3-saloon-2013.369369/

Wow, I didn’t know that even existed!
That’s the beauty of car forums.
A very interesting read.

It’s funny, most requests on performance car forums are along the lines of “how can I get more exhaust/induction noise from my GTI/R as it’s too quiet...?”

The GTI is probably one of the quietest hot hatches, especially once the OE Bridgestones have been junked.
A Passat is really far more of a comparison to a 3 series.
The 3er is far more of a motorway cruiser, will probably have more sound insulation and BMW fit and finish generally seems to be a little better than VW’s.
In fact I didn’t realise how much scuttle flex a GTI had until after I’d spent the best part of an hour driving a new M135i over roads I commute on every day of the week.
The mk7(.5) has thinner metal panels than the mk6,5,4 etc which probably contributes to noise transmission into the cabin. No doubt recent cost cutting has included sound deadening too.

I can remember back in the mk1 and mk2 Golf days you could buy kits that were pre-cut to install under the bonnet, on the bulkhead and also under the carpeted areas plus even on the inside of the door panels.

Michelins are reasonably quiet, I’ll assume the car is otherwise standard?

My dad once had a sexy red Cortina GT that began making horrible noises from the engine, his solution was the age old remedy of “turn the radio up and it goes away”

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2020, 15:25 »
Something I noticed from my mk7 that carried over to the 7.5 was an awful lot of road noise from the rear. If you think it's bad in the front (and I don't notice it much because I have the radio on all of the time) then try riding in the back...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2020, 18:51 »
Hi , I bought a used mk7.5 gti at the start of march so have barely driven it. But I find the road noise much louder than my 2016 bmw 320i when at motorway speeds. Any suggestions?
I bought a sound barrier dodo pro barrier mlv under floor in boot and some towels around spare tyre but still quite noisy

Did the dodo sound barrier make much difference?
My car is certainly noiser when the parcel shelf is not in place

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2020, 20:28 »
I bought a sound barrier dodo pro barrier mlv under floor in boot and some towels around spare tyre but still quite noisy

Did the dodo sound barrier make much difference?
My car is certainly noiser when the parcel shelf is not in place

I think all hatchback cars will be noisier with the parcel shelf removed. I’ve only owned hatchback cars since 1980 (14 in all) and they’ve all been noisier when the parcel shelf isn’t in place.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2020, 00:38 »
Trade it in for an S-Class.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2020, 12:17 »
Trade it in for an S-Class.

:grin:

I bought a sound barrier dodo pro barrier mlv under floor in boot and some towels around spare tyre but still quite noisy.Should I get e.g Woolies Sound deadening felt (Saw it recommended by a couple of people)? Fyi it has new michelin pilot sport 4 tyres.also I am useless at diy so don't want to be taking off panels egg or the car will seriously rattle afterwards

I like the car apart from this issue. Will post my thoughts so far another day.

Thank you.

Thanks Will check tyre pressure
. I drive mainly in individual with all set to normal except exhaust in eco.

OP - Road noise is fairly high in the Golf. Never going to be better than a 3 Series in my opinion.

And the exhaust doesn't change. Its just engine noise you can alter which is the fake noise pumped in.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey