Author Topic: Thoughts on a daily driver  (Read 3775 times)

steve12345

Re: Thoughts on a daily driver
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2020, 10:23 »
My previous car was a 116d, and I haven't looked back since.  It sounds like we are in similar situation to yourself, small family with one car so it needs to cover all bases.

The Golf is a much better package & very comfortable. We got luckly and found a DCC GTI, in comfort it is much more compliant compared to the old 1 series in Msport trim(along with the msport suspension), in sport its as you would expect "sporty" bumpy ride. However it sounds like non DCC is also great, I suspect it would still be better than a 1 series with run-flats and (if you have it) the harsh msport suspension.

While we are talking about tyres, going non runflat is sooo much cheaper. I would usually spend £600+ for all four corners on the bmw with 18 inch tyres. Recently put Michellin PS4's in the same 18 inch size on all four corners for £380 - bargain in comparison.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2020, 10:40 »
You didn't need runflats on the BMW though did you? I know they used to come with them, but you didn't need to put them back on when they wore out...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2020, 10:41 »
You didn't need runflats on the BMW though did you? I know they used to come with them, but you didn't need to put them back on when they wore out...

Was just about to write the same  :grin:

steve12345

« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2020, 12:22 »

Very true - but the 1 series didn't have a spare tyre or a space for a spare tyre.  So I opted to stick with run flats for practicality.

Other option would of been to buy a spare but that would of taken up boot space. When you carry a push chair around and need to fully load the car up for regular weekend trips to visit my parents, an additional wheel taking up boot space isn't an option.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2020, 12:35 »

Very true - but the 1 series didn't have a spare tyre or a space for a spare tyre.  So I opted to stick with run flats for practicality.

Other option would of been to buy a spare but that would of taken up boot space. When you carry a push chair around and need to fully load the car up for regular weekend trips to visit my parents, an additional wheel taking up boot space isn't an option.

A previous car I owned didn’t have a spare. In 28 years of driving I’ve never once had to change a wheel due to puncture (touch wood). Not having a spare has never bothered me. I’d just call the AA anyway, particularly if I was on a work trip and wearing a suit.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2020, 15:17 »

A previous car I owned didn’t have a spare. In 28 years of driving I’ve never once had to change a wheel due to puncture (touch wood). Not having a spare has never bothered me. I’d just call the AA anyway, particularly if I was on a work trip and wearing a suit.

Agreed. My 3er doesn't have a spare and I run PS4S's and same with my X5. Never really worried about it.

Offline Primerdriver

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2020, 22:21 »
The TCR at Gatwick has been reserved so will carry on looking. Thanks again for the feedback.