Author Topic: Thoughts on a daily driver  (Read 3774 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Thoughts on a daily driver
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2020, 21:44 »
Quality replies remind me of the point to car forums  :afro:

I’ve had a tiny bit of experience with mk7 Golfs and currently run a TCR.

Here's a pic of the only mk7 Exon hasn't owned:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2020, 21:54 »
Had a look at the Gatwick TCR the OP refers to online, looks pretty good with an excellent spec. OP - just be aware that the sunroof surround can crack and VW will go to the ends of the earth to avoid responsibility. It would appear to be an error of installation however convincing them it is a warranty issue will be tricky. Mine has a sunroof and the surround has cracked, my dealer has said they will sort it for me but the part is on backorder, then the lockdown.... I would add though that bugger it, it's great and no regrets!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 15 May 2020, 22:17 »

Biggest problem is getting any sort of test drive or deal sorted in these times but at least I've got plenty to think about and appreciate it's a first world problem.

That may work in your favour - social distancing might mean taking it out on your own without a salesman sitting in the passenger seat... 😉
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Primerdriver

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2020, 11:27 »
Had a look at the Gatwick TCR the OP refers to online, looks pretty good with an excellent spec. OP - just be aware that the sunroof surround can crack and VW will go to the ends of the earth to avoid responsibility. It would appear to be an error of installation however convincing them it is a warranty issue will be tricky. Mine has a sunroof and the surround has cracked, my dealer has said they will sort it for me but the part is on backorder, then the lockdown.... I would add though that bugger it, it's great and no regrets!

Cheers for that, is the crack clearly visible and something I can check for. Assume it doesn't leak.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2020, 12:05 »

Cheers for that, is the crack clearly visible and something I can check for. Assume it doesn't leak.

Yes, clearly visible. They crack where the slimmer sides meet the thicker section in front of the opening part of the sunroof. There's been a few threads about it, here's mine which has a couple of images - http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286255.0

I've not seen any sign of water ingress and I'm confident the area below will be part of the channels that have a drain pipe so it should be fine. It's a pretty big job to replace and probably quite expensive to have to pay for yourself should it happen but it's not like they are all breaking. I'm really pleased with mine, especially with all the great weather we've been having :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2020, 12:14 »

I'm fairly sure he hasn't had a GTE or an e-Golf...?!!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2020, 12:25 »
There is a good one in Volkswagen Gatwick that fits the bill. Anybody had dealings with them ?
My only advice, check it's actually for sale!

There's a long story behind me getting my car (ordered before WLTP shutdown in the summer of 2018, delayed, cancelled, finally arrived out of the blue Christmas 2018), but in the time I had cancelled my order I was looking for used examples that had DCC/Dynaudio/19's and leather). My GF lives a few miles from Gatwick VW and they had a car for sale (on the VW website with a screen price etc) which had a similar spec to the car I'd ordered, albeit it was white. So I popped down to see it, rang ahead to let them know I was coming yet when I turned up I couldn't see it anywhere, so I assumed it was a demo probably parked out back or with a salesperson. I walked into the showroom and sat around waiting for about an hour as the various salesman tried to track down the car on various systems yet to no avail, it was like the car didn't exist. The third salesman then came over and said he'd found it parked out the back. We went out the back and it was filthy (inside and out) and clearly in use, and here's the clincher for me.... as the salesman was inside trying to find the key for me to look over it a guy came out of the workshop and tried to get into it to drive off. I said that I was about to test drive it, to which he replied "no you're not mate it's my car!". The salesman came back out and he was ushered away by this mysterious man. The salesman then came back with the key and let me look over it.

I said I was interested, but wanted to drive it, to which he said I could but the car was being used by the Work shop Director and I could drive it when he came back from lunch. All this seemed very weird, so when we were inside I asked the salesman to show me the car on their system as available to purchase immediately. He brought up a scree on a business fleet system (not retail!) and it said the car couldn't be sold for another 6 months! As you can imagine I flew off the handle and asked why they were advertising a car they couldn't actually sell. The salesman was hugely apologetic, but he said his hands were tied due to them not being able to sell demo cars for a fixed amount of time.

I walked away and lost the best part of a day there for nothing. Granted, an isolated incident, but it put me off going back there, so tread with caution as it appears they advertise cars well in advance of actually being able to sell them!

:)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2020, 12:58 »
Usually, if a car is being advertised for sale in the used cars section on VW’s website, it’ll have an availability date (you need to click the ‘View details’ button of cars you’re interested in to see the availability date).

Cars that are on the dealer’s demonstrator fleet and / or are being used by dealership staff will show an availability date that’s often 3-4 months into the future for a recently registered car; I think dealerships have to run their fleet vehicles for a minimum period of months / miles before they can actually sell them on. Cars that are part of the dealer’s existing used car stock will show ‘Availability date; Now’.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2020, 13:13 »
Usually, if a car is being advertised for sale in the used cars section on VW’s website, it’ll have an availability date (you need to click the ‘View details’ button of cars you’re interested in to see the availability date).

Cars that are on the dealer’s demonstrator fleet and / or are being used by dealership staff will show an availability date that’s often 3-4 months into the future for a recently registered car; I think dealerships have to run their fleet vehicles for a minimum period of months / miles before they can actually sell them on. Cars that are part of the dealer’s existing used car stock will show ‘Availability date; Now’.
This particular car had no availability date, so I assumed it was available immediately (I knew demos had to be run for a period of time hence why my suspicions were aroused when I arrived at the dealer). What became apparent is it had clearly been manually loaded to the UCL system, because it wasn't on any of the retail systems at the dealer, only a business fleet system.

Piss poor IMO, the salesman was very very apologetic and said he'd take it up with the manager, but the car stayed on sale (on auto trader and the UCL) for several months after my complaint.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2020, 12:09 »

I'm fairly sure he hasn't had a GTE or an e-Golf...?!!  :grin:

I do have my limits!  :grin:

Mind you, a 245bhp GTE does have a certain appeal...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner