Author Topic: Has anyone remapped a PCP car?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Has anyone remapped a PCP car?
« on: 11 May 2020, 16:56 »
And yes, I know there's the whole saga with the Seat owner. That's the only thing I can really find apart from a couple of threads on overclockers.

Anyone here that's actually done it more recently? When you hand back a PCP car (assuming you give it back to VW), what's the inspection process? Do they hook it up to anything, or is it a physical inspection only?

On the other hand, if I use it as a PX with a different manufacturer, would they care? Isn't it out of VW's hands there?

Just hypothetically, of course  :wink:

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: Has anyone remapped a PCP car?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2020, 17:23 »
I wouldn't personally do it, however if I really felt the need, I'd just stick a tuning box on there and remove before return - added bonus is that you can then sell it on and recoup some of the initial cost.

That said, even without looking and finding a remap, if they wanted to, they can deep dive on the ecu to find different values (don't know what they are) and find stuff to flag it as it's had a tuning box on, but if they don't find any physical evidence, they're not likely to look.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2020, 18:27 »
if you hand back a fault-free car, you'll probably be in the clear. If you have any significant drivetrain faults that warrant investigation, you could be faced with a big repair bill.

Un-modified VWs aren't bulletproof - my R needed a new turbo at 6 months old, it's also had an occasionally slipping clutch. There might be punitive measures in your PCP contract or the dealer offers you no "equity" on your GFV figure.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2020, 20:22 »
I did but I kept it when the PCP deal came to an end, you can always go down that route. Buy it and then sell it on privately.

Offline darrenx

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2020, 00:22 »
I have done with both previous cars but did not hand backI just traded it in so no issue at all. My millage was way higher but again no issue.

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2020, 11:26 »
if you hand back a fault-free car, you'll probably be in the clear. If you have any significant drivetrain faults that warrant investigation, you could be faced with a big repair bill.

Un-modified VWs aren't bulletproof - my R needed a new turbo at 6 months old, it's also had an occasionally slipping clutch. There might be punitive measures in your PCP contract or the dealer offers you no "equity" on your GFV figure.

I watched a YouTube video about R’s and slipping clutches with a dsg anyway is common and VW were not replacing them under warranty if the DSG service hadn’t been carried out at the correct time.
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey