Author Topic: Voice Control  (Read 1624 times)

Offline ben1987

• Not said much yet
  • Everyone wishes they were from Yorkshire.
Voice Control
« on: 02 May 2020, 17:10 »
Hi everyone, hope you’re all well and safe.

Just wondering if anybody had Voice control activated and if so, is it worth the £200?

Ben

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Voice Control
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2020, 18:50 »
Total waste of money if you haven't already got it. Mine came as standard because I got nav pro but it's total crap.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2020, 20:19 »
I’ve had VC in a previous car and found it more frustrating than useful, ok occasionally for using the phone.
Was toying with getting it activated in the GTI but based on above, will give it a miss.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2020, 20:48 »
Do you have CarPlay? If so press and hold the VC button and see if Siri pops up

But no I wouldn’t pay for it, although I have it, but it’s more miss than hit

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2020, 09:44 »
It's quicker to press the buttons.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2020, 09:33 »
As has been said above, if you have CarPlay or Android Auto, a hold of that button will bring up the phone's native voice assistant, which in the case of Google especially is pretty good.

However, that's all the button is good for. The native voice control will be crap, like all manufacturers' implementations

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2020, 10:30 »
Can only echo the above, had it in my last car and completely pointless and takes longer than the button/knob way. Same with gesture control, as why take your hand of the wheel and wave it around when you can literally move your thumb to press a button on the wheel.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2020, 10:59 »
I'm going to say that its ok if you have it with navpro - because its included.

I use it from time to time for a few things - eg when using AndroidAuto and I want to swap from listening to music from the SD car to the radio I can do that easily and without going out of AA, selecting radio, then selecting AA again - which is 3 button pushes on the MIB.

I wouldn't pay £200 for that alone though.

Beyond that, I don't really use it - trying to input (VW) sat nav destinations is a joke and even trying to find an artist on your music library.

Its basically about 3 generations behind the likes of Siri or Google Assistant and as frustrating as speach recognition was twenty years ago.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2020, 22:55 »
Mine is really weird.
If I go to use voice control via Car Play nothing happen. Its as if it doesn't hear me.
But if a message comes in and I get the car to read it out, it then makes the mic work via car play.

I've never been able to figure out why.

To the OP I'd agree with everyone else, I wouldn't pay to get it activated.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2020, 08:24 »
If you like the “BBC Asian Network” it’s great 👍 that’s about the only thing mine will do irrespective of what you ask it to do. Siri on the other hand is great. That £200 is better in your back pocket  :whistle:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA