Author Topic: Finally some decent DSG shifters...  (Read 8494 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Finally some decent DSG shifters...
« on: 10 April 2020, 19:02 »
Wished I bought some decent shifters from day 1 as I do use the manual mode quite a bit and those daft plastic things are pretty horrible - no idea why they don't fit something a bit nicer. Not keen on the racing line ones.

Seen these via Instagram which looks great, quite partial to some proper carbon. Not sure on price but the company doing them do some really nice steering wheel retrims.

Thought I'd share - my car will be gone soon but might be of interest to a few people.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AGB

• I live here
Re: Finally some decent DSG shifters...
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2020, 01:23 »
They look decent Jim. I always thought the Racing Line looked to be the best and had considered changing them on the TCR but then on thinking about it, realised that I never really bother using the manual shifters.

Only reservation I'd have relates to the feel of them. They might be a bit 'slick' and might be easy for your fingers to lose purchase if you're turning the wheel at the same time. Be interested in comments if anyone buys a set.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2020, 08:59 »
you can get excellent copies of the racingline ones on Aliexpress for very little, and still in Aluminium, very precisely machined for a great fit.

I paid about £40 for mine about 18 months ago and they've steadily dropped since then to.about £12!!!

I bought silver (unpainted Aluminium). I must admit that matt black.looks far better, so after a while I spray painted mine.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2020, 10:24 »
Which ones did you get Matt?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2020, 11:53 »

These are mine Chris. Painted them myself after getting silver and preferring black. Slight roughness of finish is my spraying technique - you can only really see it under high magnification on the "-" area. These are the same as the £192 racingline ones.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2020, 11:59 by monkeyhanger »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2020, 12:37 »
Are they sturdy enough? Seen a few posts and you tube posts where people have said the replacement ones are slack or have give in them.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2020, 12:46 »
Are they sturdy enough? Seen a few posts and you tube posts where people have said the replacement ones are slack or have give in them.

They're plenty sturdy. Those sh!tty stick on ones that stick over the existing factory shifters are crap, but these replace the factory ones, hinge nicely on the original pin and have a nice positive press.

Don't forget though that longer shifters may have more play due to the fulcrum effect. The factory ones are more like buttons than handles, being less than half the length.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2020, 12:53 »

They're plenty sturdy. Those sh!tty stick on ones that stick over the existing factory shifters are crap, but these replace the factory ones, hinge nicely on the original pin and have a nice positive press.

Don't forget though that longer shifters may have more play due to the fulcrum effect. The factory ones are more like buttons than handles, being less than half the length.
any links to the ones you bought?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2020, 13:09 »

any links to the ones you bought?

I bought mine from an Aliexpress shop called."Jogon", they do a lot of automotive stuff at a certain price point. Since the price of these dropped and dropped (from about £40 to £12), Jogon stopped stocking. Have stumbled across them elsewhere. Just need to search for Golf gti shifter in Aliexpress.

m.aliexpress.com/item/4000354301099.html?src=google&_randl_currency=GBP&_randl_shipto=GB&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&gclsrc=aw.ds&&albagn=888888&albcp=1622677378&albag=57224001810&trgt=743612850874&crea=en4000354301099&netw=u&device=m&albpg=743612850874&albpd=en4000354301099&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInpjGnqrg6AIVmKztCh0vkQyhEAQYASABEgJ-N_D_BwE

steve12345

« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2020, 21:06 »
I have the same as the ones that monkey hanger went with. They get a massive thumbs up from me  :smiley:

They look almost OEM, and work perfectly.

I found them on eBay for about £15 from memory took a while for them to arrive from China but it was well worth the wait!

They fit securely, and feel fantastic. I discovered these from the below you tube video if you haven’t seen this yet.

https://youtu.be/UJqjwyb8kbk