Author Topic: Occasional difficulty selecting reverse gear  (Read 7346 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Occasional difficulty selecting reverse gear
« Reply #50 on: 15 May 2020, 11:13 »

@golfdave. The problem I had was very minor, certainly not worth extensive work to remove the centre console. In fact since I've got the car back it's far worse- first gear is virtually impossible to engage without first selecting reverse then keeping the clutch in. At least I'm sure of the cause of the problem, and that it's a warranty job.

If they have ruled clutch out as cause of problems then I bet its the linkage...

To get accurate alignment of the gear selector cables you need to 100% lock in "netural" both mech at end of the cables...as they swapped from metal parts to plastic parts for cheapness it is virtually impossible to get near 80% accuracy...so you always has mis-alignment & mainly in reverse as the "hook" under the gear stick can't hit the lock out ramp properly & slips off...so you sometimes hit 1st instead!

They've actually made in worse, in that it hardly bothered me to have some difficulty getting reverse when cold. Now first is near impossible and even second is not quite as smooth as it was. I'd be happy if they just put it back the way it was! 
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.