Author Topic: Occasional difficulty selecting reverse gear  (Read 7301 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Occasional difficulty selecting reverse gear
« on: 10 February 2020, 20:25 »
Can anyone offer advice on an occasional problem I have with selecting reverse gear. In particular if anyone is aware of this being a known problem and whether I ought to ask VW to investigate.

Over the last few weeks I occasionally have difficulty selecting reverse gear. It only ever happens first thing in the morning, particularly on cold days.

My morning routine involves reversing out of the garage, then declutching and selecting neutral while I wait for my daughter to jump in the passenger seat. Curiously, the problem never occurs when I first select reverse to pull out of the garage. It happens when I select reverse again while on the driveway. There is a slight downward slope away from my garage.

On a few occasions, I can eventually select reverse by engaging first, then declutching and with a bit of persuasion can select reverse. This morning, it was more severe- reverse wouldn't engage, I put the clutch in, found first, declutched, tried again-it would not go into reverse at all. In the end I just rolled backwards off the drive.
The box works beautifully in all other gears and at all other times.

Would appreciate any thoughts.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Occasional difficulty selecting reverse gear
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2020, 20:36 »
Perhaps the cables need adjusting? If it's still under warranty just book it in.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2020, 21:46 »
Thanks. It is under warranty. Would they charge a diagnostic fee if they can’t find a fault?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2020, 22:07 »
Not sure. My manual can be a little difficult when really cold, is it okay when warm? Google it if you haven't, you aren't alone and there is all sorts of advice out there :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2020, 22:32 »
it's absolutely fine when warm. in fact, it's fine the minute I pull onto the road. Very odd, the way it only does it on the driveway, when cold.
all sorts of suggestions online- from clutch problems to linkage issues, to some saying it's pretty normal and you find a way round it.
the main decision I need to make is whether to book in. I may just wait and see, I don't get the impression it's a big problem

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2020, 22:40 »
I’d say it’s just the combination of cold, linkage, slight slope etc. As it’s literally only then I probably wouldn’t worry too much. Could check the linkage to make sure it’s ok but unless it starts doing it a lot more of the time no matter the circumstances then definitely get it booked in.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2020, 22:54 »
Thanks for the reply raj, that's reassuring. Unless I hear from a load of forum members telling me there's a known issue with this box, I think I'll just keep an eye on it.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2020, 12:49 »
Stop guessing and get it looked at before it gets worse and while it’s still under warranty

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2020, 15:45 »
My idea was to wait until it gets worse so the dealer doesn’t give me short shrift- but yes, I take your point, I should use the warranty.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2020, 16:11 »
Stop guessing and get it looked at before it gets worse and while it’s still under warranty

Totally agree, but the only issue will most likely be that they can’t recreate the issue as it appears to be only on a very specific set of circumstances while coming out of his garage/off the driveway. All other times it’s no issue.