Author Topic: Perished grommet on tailgate  (Read 24240 times)

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
Re: Perished grommet on tailgate
« Reply #40 on: 21 October 2019, 22:16 »
I'm hoping someone can help..I have found that my car is missing the drain tube and I am collecting one from my local garage tomorrow.

However the roof of my car at back is damp. Does anyone have any clue why it would be leaking at the top of my boot?

There are a couple of places it could be leaking. The most common I’ve found is the rubber boots that take the wiring etc between the tailgate and roof. If you check them gently see if either is slightly loose as the clips can break and allow water to enter underneath them. My offside one is like that so need to order one tomorrow. When I washed the car I noticed water running down the C pillar trim.

Offline jackstffrd

• Just got here
« Reply #41 on: 21 October 2019, 23:29 »
I'm hoping someone can help..I have found that my car is missing the drain tube and I am collecting one from my local garage tomorrow.

However the roof of my car at back is damp. Does anyone have any clue why it would be leaking at the top of my boot?

Do you mean the headlining or the top of the tailgate? If it is the headlining could it be the seal for the satnav aerial is leaking? The other option which has been reported before is the tailgate hinges where they fit on the car can leak.

Cheers for your reply.

The headlining is damp at the back near the boot. I've taken the pillar trim off but not completely sure what I am looking at to fix it or see what's faulty. I am missing the drain tube at the bottom of the boot door though. So I've got water leaking at the top and running down the pillar trim to the spare wheel well.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2019, 23:42 by jackstffrd »

Offline jackstffrd

• Just got here
« Reply #42 on: 21 October 2019, 23:36 »

There are a couple of places it could be leaking. The most common I’ve found is the rubber boots that take the wiring etc between the tailgate and roof. If you check them gently see if either is slightly loose as the clips can break and allow water to enter underneath them. My offside one is like that so need to order one tomorrow. When I washed the car I noticed water running down the C pillar trim.

Cheers for your reply.

Will check the rubber boots tomorrow. If checked them and they seemed okay, maybe there is something I've missed.

I've had the same problem with my pillar trim, seems to flow through it and down to spare wheel well. When I removed all the back pillar trim, poured water over the car and then opened and shut my boot the water dripped inside (drivers side).
« Last Edit: 21 October 2019, 23:40 by jackstffrd »

Offline mk7gti

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 19 January 2020, 22:24 »
A handy guide for the repair is listed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbuh08bV144&feature=youtu.be

MK7 GTI - Deep Pearl Black - Standard Spec - Ordered 10/12/2015.

MK7 GTI - White - Standard Spec - Service Pack - Collected 11/09/2013.

Offline Highland28

• Not said much yet
« Reply #44 on: 03 April 2020, 18:05 »
After giving the car a good clean last weekend, I noticed that the spare wheel well was very wet. On closer inspection the grommet for the VW badge drain on the tailgate is very perished. After calling a couple of local VW dealers, I can't get hold of the part due to the current lockdown issues. Although the car isn't being driven much at the moment I'd still very much like this resolved sooner rather than later.
I'm happy to get some hose and a grommet, however I'm not sure of sizing when it comes to the grommet. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction for buying the parts to sort this?
2013 Night Blue GTi with heated leather seats.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #45 on: 03 April 2020, 18:39 »
I’m sure before I got mine from a dealer I saw them on eBay?
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #46 on: 03 April 2020, 19:22 »
Search for Coverdale parts on Facebook
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 03 April 2020, 19:28 »
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Highland28

• Not said much yet
« Reply #48 on: 03 April 2020, 22:05 »
Thank you for each of the suggestions above. Order put in through the link provided by Watts. Should be here in a few days, hopefully.
2013 Night Blue GTi with heated leather seats.

Offline Bigwod

• Not said much yet
« Reply #49 on: 13 May 2020, 09:47 »
I noticed that something fell off mine last night when I closed boot, did some looking and indeed the rubber grommet from the drain pipe has perished, this morning I have been in the cupboard looking for an old curly straw the hard plastic type which the drink goes round and round before entering the mouth,you know what I mean probably, anyway I’ve cut a small straight piece of the straw abour 3/4 inch and pushed it up the pipe, very good fit , then put the old grommet where my new pipe slightly sticks out with a bit of sealant around the edges job done